Default Transmission oil cooler

What brand and model tranny oil cooler have you guys who tow and have installed one, used?
    I have a customer who just bought himself a nice 2006 and besides the usual, T-Belt, fuel filter, no breather, his breather is good, I tested it) work I am going to be doing, he wants a factory tow hitch, (now being made again for next month, BTW) and I suggested an tranny oil cooler.

I have never bought one nor installed one on a Volvo so any and all tips would be very helpful and very appreciated.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I described my set up in detail in this thread: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...sh-From-Bottom

I'm a fan of the "plate-type" coolers. They're both more efficient and more damage resistant than the tube and fin type.

I went pretty far with the setup on that car, anticipating hard mountain use and teenage drivers. I installed an external filter, and then a thermostat.

Just a cooler in the radiator-transmission return line is what I did on my wife's XC. That's a big improvement over OEM.

Depends how sophisticated your customer wants to get. I will say that my Tundra has both a huge cooler and a thermostat for the transmission cooler circuit, and it's set up for serious towing. It's got a tube and fin cooler, but way, way more robust than the aftermarket ones available.

Amazon has good prices, and shipping, on all the parts that I used for my set-up. When I plumbed in all the stuff, I had to add over 1.5 QTs to get the level correct. A surprising capacity increase.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Hayden Transaver Ultra-Cool Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler 1404, is what I installed on both of my XC70s, 02 and 04, just for better cooling and to extend the life of the transmission, mounted behind the upper grill after removing the bumper cover, two holes through the side air deflector, a splice joint and a Magnefine inline filter for the other splice joint, using the supplied radiator core mounting devices, neat, tidy and works well, though a thermostat might have helped because winter warm up seems to take little longer, but the summer, stop and go traffic never gets the trans hot and bothered anymore, I never tow anything so you could upgrade to a 1405 or larger if needed for towing
    Last edited by AKAMick; 07-30-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Yeh, I fitted a Hayden too (+ Magnefine filter) in front of the air con condenser and also a ali mesh in the bumper cut out at the same time. I have only got 138,000 Miles on the car but it is still driving like new having towed 3 boats and a caravan (not all at wonce :-)
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

I essentially duplicated Astro's install, but omitted the thermostat, as our climate here is temperate. I also moved the cooler up, and mounted it horizontally using the included perforated strips off the rear of the horns. In this position, I found that a long piece of 1/4-20 allthread, with a hole drilled in the one hole existing in the aluminum bumper bar, perfectly aligned with a hole in the cooler. All the mountings have blue Loctite applied.
    I used a WIX 57181 filter and the Derale mount.
    I elected to move it up in an effort to keep it out of the road debris, seeing the damage to the bottom of the condenser.
    Two holes the diameter of the hose were drilled in the plastic air baffle.
    An easy installation!
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

I just ordered the cooler that Astro14 used.

One thing remains unclear to me, is the upper line out of the radiator the one that returns to the transmission? I believe that is the one I used a couple of years back when I did the Gibbons flush.

I did the install on the trans cooler this weekend, finishing up with a Gibbons flush. It had been 25K since I did my first right after buying the car, the fluid looked nasty. Shifting has been much improved, but I have not had a chance to get it really, really warm (or I did and it shifted fine!). Time will tell, but I am glad this project is done. While the front bumper was off it was a good time to restore the cloudy headlights, that is also off of my list.

Oh, and I was really surprised at how easy the bumper removal was.