Default 2004 XC missing tailgate window wash nozzle

I just bought a 2004 XC70 (USA-CA). I was delighted to find and join this forum.

When I tried the tailgate window washer, no wash fluid came out, in fact, I can't even see any nozzle.

See attached photo.

Does my XC70 have a broken or missing part? Where does the wash fluid come out on this model?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rear washer.JPG  
    Last edited by pbierre; 08-06-2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: XC model was not specified

There appears to be a small screw inserted where washer nozzle should be. Take that screw out and try the washer. If it works, get a replacement nozzle like this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...r-v70-30634270 and you should be good. Does your rear wiper work?

Default thanks, goldXC70

Yes, wiper works, but in our desert climate, it will scratch the glass unless wetted.

thanks, goldXC70.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    I just bought a 2004 XC70 (USA-CA). I was delighted to find and join this forum.

When I tried the tailgate window washer, no wash fluid came out, in fact, I can't even see any nozzle.

See attached photo.

Does my XC70 have a broken or missing part? Where does the wash fluid come out on this model?
    Take the inside panel off the tailgate and see where the fluid is going.

If that screw expanded the pipe too much (the nozzle that is supposed to be there is fed by a little brass pipe) a new nozzle won't fit. Take the old brass pipe out of the motor, it's a press fit, then go to a hobby store and match it up to buy a new correct size brass pipe. alternately, get a replacement rear wiper motor assembly (used), it will come with nozzle etc. and the plastic cover that goes over the nozzle. If the pipe is proper the nozzle is a difficult press fit into the pipe.

I received the nozzle part (tiny). The old nozzle broke off flush with the wiper shaft...I can't grab it to pull it off. Do you know what has to be disassembled to withdraw the brass tube? I need a way to disconnect the brass tube from the old nozzle remnant piece.

There isn't a screw plugging the tube....it could have been pinched off, or some tiny wire jammed in the hole?? I have water pressure at the supply hose. I'd prefer not to have to buy a new motor drive if I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
    I received the nozzle part (tiny). The old nozzle broke off flush with the wiper shaft...I can't grab it to pull it off. Do you know what has to be disassembled to withdraw the brass tube? I need a way to disconnect the brass tube from the old nozzle remnant piece.

There isn't a screw plugging the tube....it could have been pinched off, or some tiny wire jammed in the hole?? I have water pressure at the supply hose. I'd prefer not to have to buy a new motor drive if I don't have to.
    If at least some of the old nozzle is in the brass pipe, try and screw in a suitably-sized machine screw. You don't want one that will dig into the brass pipe. If you can grab enough of the old nozzle bit with the screw, take a pair of vice grips and just pull the old nozzle out by pulling on the screw.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Default Easy DIY fix to broke-off spray nozzle

With help from goldxc70, this problem is now fixed. I learned a very simple DIY fix....

but first an explanation of what happened. The nozzle is a very tiny plastic part with embedded, metallic spray aperatures. There is a photo of the nozzle as it should look attached. To see what the nozzle part looks like, view https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...r-v70-30634270.

The means of attachment is that this nozzle is press fit into a brass tube that communicates from the supply hose inside the tailgate to the exterior. It's hard to see the end of the brass tube because a tiny "o" ring seals the joint between the nozzle and the brass tube.

What happened in my case (and others I've seen) is that the plastic nozzle broke off flush with the wiper drive shaft. This left a remnant piece of the nozzle inserted in the brass tube. I never determined why no water would shoot out the broken piece...maybe it was plugged intentionally?

Regardless, the remnant must be extracted from the brass tube, and with it, hopefully the "o"ring seal can be located.
    NOTE: There is no disassembly of the tailgate needed.

To extract the remnant, which extends into the brass tube about 5/8", I threaded a 5/64" drill bit into the core. When you do this, you're not trying to drill out the plastic...you're trying to thread the drill bit in like twisting a screw. When it's in a good 1", stop rotating the bit and just yank outward. If you can tug 1/8"-1/4" of the remnant out with the bit, you can use pliers to yank the rest out.

You'll want to test the water jet coming out of the brass tube before committing to pressing in the new nozzle.

Place the "o"ring over the thin end of the nozzle. Align the new nozzle to slide in with the spayer nozzles facing up. Start pressing the nozzle into the tube. Tap home with a mini-hammer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tailgate Spray nozzle.jpg  

Well done, pbierre, and happy to have helped.

Just one question: where exactly did you put the o-ring? Is it below the nozzle? Or, outside the brass tube? I can't remember exactly where it goes but am going to have to find out soon as my rear wiper operation has become a bit erratic.

EDIT: I just looked at your photo and saw the answer to my question.
    Last edited by goldxc70; 08-10-2017 at 09:13 PM.