Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default middle muffler, outer layer coming off

Mechanic said the outer layer of the middle muffler is coming off.
    How urgent do I need to service this?
    I expect to put on 1,000-2,000 miles until my next service in December; can I wait until ~December, or deal with sooner?
    Estimated total cost for fix?
    09 Toyota Prius, Sprectra Blue
    01 Volvo V70XC, Ice Blue, 7-seater, built 4-01
    85 Ford Country Squire, Beige Woody, V8, ~79K mi [RIP]
    70 Chevy Malibu, Forest Green, V8 (ret)

It's a resonator, and there are threads that deal with removing it (will increase the sound out the rear), so unless it's falling off and risking damaging some other component, waiting should be fine.
    ---
    '04 AWD
    '05 XC (totaled in a rear end collision; RIP)
    '06 XC

I believe that the resonater only deals with frequencies that occur at high RPM or speed.
    If I am not mistaken, replacing the resonater by a length of pipe is known as the JRL mod
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Have the mechanic install the large circumference stainless worm type clamps around the muffler to hold the layer in place, like they do done on catalytic converters when the heat shields rattle and become loose from corrosion. cheap and easy fix.

Wait until it either gets louder, or has pieces falling off.

Then, take it to a muffler shop, who will easily do a "resonator delete" by welding in a piece of straight pipe.

Should be under $100, total for that work.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (100K, Michelin AS3+, M1 0W40)
    2002 V70-XC (258K, Castrol Edge 0W40)
    2002 V70-T5 (208K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (92K)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by rhauptschein View Post
    I expect to put on 1,000-2,000 miles until my next service in December; can I wait until ~December, or deal with sooner?
    In terms of your driving, you could use a band clamp to hold it.

In terms of your passing state/regional inspections, I don't know - you could probably use Google to find inspection standards for your jurisdiction. Some jurisdictions do not permit some sorts of patch repairs to exhaust systems.

Think about this in terms of value to you. If you are going to drive the car for a while longer, say another 2+ years, you ought to go ahead and at least replace the resonator -- it is not going to get better by itself. Consider replacing the entire exhaust from the catalytic convertor back. Best quality probably would be get a factory discount part like from tascaparts.com; consider getting the replacement from rockauto.com or call 1-2 local parts sellers and see what they are offering in terms of price and availability. It will be one less concern when it comes time for the scheduled service, so that bill will become smaller.

If you are not keeping the car another 2+ years, consider getting a used resonator from a nearby junkyard, sometimes they get cars in that have had relatively recent exhaust work. You can use unions and clamps to replace your wornout resonator. You will also find some parts stores carry "cherry bombs" and other straight-thru mufflers, which can be used as resonators. Be sure that what you use is dimensionally same as what you're pulling out.

As for me if I was keeping the car I would get factory-or-better quality replacement from somewhere. If I wasn't I would get a used resonator from Erie Vo-Vo or some such.

I'm of the school that exhaust rusts itself into one big piece, so trying to remove a section can cause more issues. Not to mention, if the outer shell is coming off, then it's probably a short time before the rear muffler starts with pin holes. I just ordered a complete Starla exhaust from FCPeuro.com for $300 and it takes about an hour to install. I am doing the JRL mod to remove the center resonator and will install in Sep. May order another complete system for the other XC70 that I still need to get on the road and do the same thing.

D-

I had same issue and pulled off the rusted cover over a year ago and still no issues... I would leave it alone until it leaks.
    04 XC70 Silver w/ Graphite Leather, Premium Package,Touring Package,Integrated Booster Seats,Xenia Wheels, ipd upgrades, WR G3 SUV Nokians, NEW Angle Gear, ipd HD End-Links: 162k
    12 Honda Pilot EX-L
    04 Acura TSX (sold)
    98 Jetta (sold)
    98 GTI VR6, GIAC tuned, Jetex Exhaust (sold)
    87 Jeep Wrangler (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by rhauptschein View Post
    Not urgent at all! It cost me $100 to do the JRL mod. I seem to remember being quoted $300 plus labour for an aftermarket resonator. The JRL mod works just fine and, to my ears at least, there is no discernible increase in sound inside or out.

Quote Originally Posted by jkochis View Post
    I had same issue and pulled off the rusted cover over a year ago and still no issues... I would leave it alone until it leaks.
    Not under all or even most conditions, but under some conditions that extra layer of metal provides an important heat reflector.

Albertj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast