Default AWD issues / wheels spinning...

Hi all and thanks for taking the time to read this.

So this is my first Volvo and first use of the forum ,and as a ''car enthusiast'' with more cars than I should have,
    I realize that the answers I am seeking are probably already somewhere on the site, however I have been
    unable to locate them... So thanks for your patience.
    I have owned many traditional 4x4's over the years , but this is my first AWD , and I have only dealt with old
    school stuff and I am stumped with this traction issue.
    I live in the US but am building a home off grid 15 miles up a rough dirt road in the French alps (grew up here);
    I come every summer for a couple of months and hammer away. For the passed 18 years I used a first generation
    Nissan Pathfinder that has ,along with an WW2 military trailer, done a reliable job of hauling materials up the mountain.
    But in the interest of having a vehicle that could perform the same job and allow the family an I to do some comfortable
    road trips as well we purchased a 2007 xc90 with a 2.5 gasoline motor and less than 100 000 miles. The car runs great
    and has been a real pleasure to drive. Before settling on the xc90 I watched some YouTube clips of guy's with wheels
    18'' of the ground still getting great traction and that was a big part of deciding it was Ok to move on to a
    ''non transfer case'' vehicle.
    On the first steep hair pin I was stuck wheels spinning...got a run for it ,got up the hill and spent the evening studying
    how the xc90 system works, tried again the following day and was relieved to see the back wheels spinning as well
    as the front; so the rear axle is engaging but apparently whatever triggers the brakes to lock the spinning wheel(s) does not.
    I ordered a Volvo diagnostic tool; to my dismay about a dozen codes popped up, however most were related to wipers,
    climate control, sound system and other ''non essential'' things. The only code that I could find that may be related
    to the issue is ABS 0136 (brake pressure sensor 1 and 2 outside it's permitted range). Can anyone out there tell me how
    to interpret the message, and if that is possibly a cause for my wheel slippage.
    In case you are wondering, there is not a Volvo dealership anywhere near here... And I have always been able to
    resolve or at least diagnose my own car problems, so I am hoping this xc90 doesn't prove to be beyond my ability's...
    Thanks again for any help/advice you can provide.
    Josh.

Come on guy's , there has to be someone out there with some undestanding of how the ABS/traction control interact, and what could be the cause of my dismal traction...Please share to knowledge. Thanks, Josh

So these codes were read with a VIDA DICE and the VIDA program?
    If not, your tool is useless.
    Let me know what reader read the codes then I will continue on...

You probably bought the wrong vehicle. These are not designed for heavy off road usage on a daily basis
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Hi JRL and thanks for taking the time.
    code reader is a icarsoft 1906;seems to be programmed for Saab and Volvo as the first thing it asks is which one you are testing. Was advertised as Volvo specific.
    As for the xc90 for my project; it seems to do well except for the wheel spin issue when one wheel has poor traction...My internet research (impressive youtube clips aside) speaks of power being redirected to the tractive wheels after 1/7 of a turn of slip, as one of the great accomplishments of the Haldex design; I am sure that function is currently inoperative . Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by iema josh View Post
    I ordered a Volvo diagnostic tool; about a dozen codes popped up,

The only code that I could find that may be related
    to the issue is ABS 0136
    Is your tool capable of talking to the DEM (differential electronic module)? As others have suggested your best bet is Vida software with a cheap Dice clone.

Hi And thanks for the help;
    we have to walk in about 10 minutes from the parking area to the place where we stay so I cannot easily access the car from here . But I will reconnect the reader tomorrow and try to figure out if it can get in to the DEM. Still not sure what I am looking for once in...

Quote Originally Posted by iema josh View Post
    get in to the DEM. Still not sure what I am looking for once in...
    Here are your code choices, VIDA includes diagnostic procedures for each, some DEM trouble shooting info is available @ xemodex.com.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demcode 5t.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	8296

thanks that helps a lot.

Well my reader definitely doesn't access that deep...will be shopping for something more adequate,; will pick the thread back up after. Thanks for the help.