Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need to add a transmission cooler kit

I need to fit some sort of transmission cooler to my 2002 XC. I don't have a lot of time to devote to fabricating brackets and pulling the front nose of the car to mount something 'properly' to get the best airflow. Is it feasible to take an off the shelf kit like the attached photo and mount it somewhere under the car, where it obviously won't get as good of air flow but not too low to be hanging down where it will get whacked? And if someone can suggest a particular location, what size cooler might fit in that particular location?

I know that sounds sort of silly but I have to compromise on a mounting location unless there is something relatively simple I can do where I don't have to remove parts of the body to get to a location to install it. I've seen a recent post from Astro14 with an extremely well engineered setup. (Can I drive to Va. Beach and get you to install it? Ha. Just kidding) I've Googled and searched on this forum, found some excellent write ups and photos but all too sophisticated or rather time consuming for me.

If I just had someone local who could do it, I'd just drop off the car and say here, have at it. I'm too busy with work and with tending to my Mom who is in the latter stages of life in assisted living, to be able to make this a real project.

Thanks.

P.S. the reason I need this is it's started to shift hard from 3rd to 4th gear, only after the transmission fluid is fully hot. I thought if I could buy myself a little time and it needs a cooler anyway, I would like to go ahead and throw this at it while I gather the parts to fix or replace the transmission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tranny_cooler_kit.jpg  
    Tom McMillion

2002 V70XC 278K miles bought Dec. 2013 w/ 156K
    This replaced a '97 850 with 401K miles

Many transmission shops and trailer hitch installers can do a transmission cooler install for you.

Pulling the bumper cover is a minor operation, and a good place to place a aftermarket Hayden type transcooler is directly behind the upper grille, plenty of airflow. this can be accomplished by a reasonably competent owner in an afternoon, using radiator core nylon zip fixtures, though the fans has to be moved temporarily aside to finish securing them, no brackets or braces needed. Plus you can use a inline Magnefine transmission filter in place of a transmission line splice coupling, Good cooling probably will help with the 3-4 shift but it will not cure it, the Linear solenoids are most likely gunked up with metallic sludge because when energized they are electro magnets and pull it in, regular ATF changes help avoid this problem

The zip tie fasteners work for a quick install, but they tie it to the condenser, and won't last forever.

Cutting into the line is a PITA, but you can add a magnefine filter at that point.

Replace the fluid while you're at it and cross your fingers. With your miles, the problems are probably solenoid or valve body related, but keeping fresh fluid cool will minimize the problem until it can be properly fixed.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    The zip tie fasteners work for a quick install, but they tie it to the condenser, and won't last forever.

Cutting into the line is a PITA, but you can add a magnefine filter at that point.

Replace the fluid while you're at it and cross your fingers. With your miles, the problems are probably solenoid or valve body related, but keeping fresh fluid cool will minimize the problem until it can be properly fixed.
    Thanks. I will, that is, replace the fluid and add a filter. I appreciate the tip about the zip ties for my situation. Where does one cut into the line? Wait, I'll go find an article about installing a Magnefine filter. I assume we're talking about the return line to the radiator from the transmission. I ordered a case of Mobil 3309 earlier today (Tuesday). I'll order the Magnefine filter tomorrow and a rebuilt valve body as soon as I can determine what information to tell them about my existing valve body before it's removed. One vendor wants specific numbers off of the valve body not simply the "no stamp" or A stamp or whatever, but some numbers off of a different place on the valve body. See attached photo. If I can determine what valve body I need for a 2002 before the valve body is pulled, that would be most helpful. My indy Volvo mechanic works out of his garage and doesn't have room to store my car for up to a few days if he has to pull the valve body first to check what numbers I need before I can order a new/rebuilt one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ValveBody.jpg  
    Tom McMillion

2002 V70XC 278K miles bought Dec. 2013 w/ 156K
    This replaced a '97 850 with 401K miles

Most transmission cooler kits comes with ties to allow you to fasten it through the fins of the radiator. Mine has been like that for the last 100K miles and shows no sign of coming loose. Only thing you need to remove is the fan shroud to access the back of the radiator. The rest you can do fairly easily with the bumper in place.

This is gonna be on my mind a lot for a while. I am having my transmission replaced early next week, and am looking to do what I need to keep the next transmission alive and functioning right for as long as I can.
    My plan with the new transmission was to put in an inline filter to keep it from getting gunked up, and maintain a regular servicing schedule in the future. The cooler is something I hadn't yet considered. Does installing one help extend the life of the transmission? Are there conditions of use that would generally mean you wanted a cooler? Is overcooling in cold weather a problem?
    2002 V70XC

Never ever heard of a transmission failure from being too cold, but being overheated transmission failure is more common, Warm up is extended in the cold months, you can add a thermostat to the cooler if you are concerned, my XCs equipped with Hayden coolers and Magnefine inline filters have no issue with the ME winters, I also do a trans dump at every oil change, it is easy right next to the oil drain and almost 4 quarts of ATF, Ayyuh?

I would only be concerned if one of the more experienced voices had one to point out, because I couldn't think of a problem that being cold would cause. And I know being too hot will accelerate failure by a lot. I really appreciate that you are responding with my actual climate in mind.

FWIW, I really don't think it really gets that cold in Maine. I am from Chicago and it gets much colder there. I wore a hoodie all last winter without the remotest discomfort. It sure does snow more than I was used to though. LOL
    Last edited by oblivionboyj; 08-28-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    2002 V70XC

A few weeks ago I did the Hayden cooler, the first surprise was how easily that front bumper came off. I used the supplied brackets and mounted it to the brackets that the horns were attached to. I sprayed the silver brackets black so they wouldn't be easily seen behind the grille. I just couldn't summon up enough interest to do the ziptie thing. I had done a fluid exchange 25,000 miles earlier, this was the perfect opportunity to do another one, and things were starting to get harsh when driving in stop and go traffic or after climbing a hill. After a few weeks to say that I am thrilled with the results would be an understatement. After a few hundred miles, probably due to the computer relearning the shifting with the fresh fluid, it is doing great. It hasn't been really hot here recently, but heat alone didn't make the trans downshift roughly. Stop and go traffic or pulling a grade did, and so far none of that has affected the shifting with the cooler in place. I think it was money and time very well spent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast