Thread: CCM help needed

Default CCM help needed

On my 05 V70 with 178K, I changed the oil and changed all the motor mounts (except the rear) today. When I started the engine and drove down the street, I was shocked at how much smoother it was.

But I was also shocked that the AC/heater fan (blower) was not working. I initially assumed it was most likely a fuse, but the 30A fuse for the blower was fine (I changed it anyway just in case there was something I could not see). The lights on the CCM unit are all working like normal and the AC clutch and compressor both seem to be working. But the fan is not working, neither when I turn the temperature up to high, nor when I turn it low.

Any ideas what might have happened? I suppose it could be coincidence, but the fan/CCM has been working great, so it seems unlikely that it just quit coincidentally on day when I was lifting the engine.

You need to scan the car using VIDA
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    Any ideas what might have happened?
    Was the battery pulled recently? If so, you might have encountered this fairly frequent problem (see the section at the top titled "Electronic Climate Climate Not Working") http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvo...lectronics.htm
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

It turns out I have quite a few codes in the fault trace section of VIDA, at least one of which is directly related to the blower.

The code for the blower is CCM-00A1 Blower fan motor signal too high/signal missing. this code has a yellow light.

I looked at the fault trace procedure for this code and among the possible causes are open or short circuits in the signal or supply leads. My concern is whether I may have lifted the engine too high and damaged wiring - though based on my inspection of the firewall area, I can't see anything that looks at all damaged. Also,as far as I can tell, all the other CCM functions are working and the AC functions (i.e., the clutch engages when the AC is turned on). VIDA says, at least as I interpret it, that the AC compressor is not supposed to be allowed to start when this code is active - though maybe that is only if it gets to red light status.

VIDA of course has a fault trace procedure, but would it also be a reasonable step to take the blower motor out and apply 12 volts directly to the motor to see if it runs?

I have a new motor and resistor on order, which I can return if the problem turns out to be something other than motor failure - though at 12 years old it might be prudent to go ahead and replace the motor and resistor once I have the dashboard apart. My concern, as I mentioned above, is the possibility of damage to a wiring harness that might be nearly impossible to track down.

My other codes are the following
    red light
    CEM-9C03 antenna/light ring signal missing

yellow lights
    CCM-0071 damper motor faulty position
    DDM-0022 power window hall sensor 1 or 2 faulty signal
    PDM-0020 power window hall sensor 1 faulty signal
    PDM-0022 power window hall sensor 1 or 2 faulty signal
    AUM-47FE amplifier faulty configuration
    CEM-1A53 Communication with PDM control module signal missing
    CEM-8F06 Hazard light signal switch missing
    CCM-0061 Damper motor, internal fault
    CCM-0062 Damper motor, temperature left internal fault
    PDM-0000 no match
    PDM-0032 Rear view mirror potentiometer faulty signal
    PDM-0040 Outside temperature sensor signal too high
    PDM-E010 Control module internal fault
    UEM-0083 Rain sensor internal fault

The battery has not been disconnected for quite some time, and the only other issue I notice with the car is that is sometime will unlock itself right after being locked with the remote.

Do any of these other fault codes look like things I need to deal with?

I appreciate any input anyone is willing to offer.

You might save the current codes, clear it and see what comes back just to know what is relevant instead of accumulated history.

CCM damper motors has a recalibration procedure in VIDA/DiCE, doubt that will help your blower situation though.

Did some google "volvo CCM-0071" for you, here are 2 interesting links. Looks like getting to blower or regulator is not too difficult. Maybe good to check supply voltage

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=21343
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...er-not-working
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

thanks for the suggestion on the codes, and for the links. The first one especially is a nicely illustrated DIY on replacing the blower.

If the blower fan was working before your last activity (oil change and motor mount replacements), I would say go back to those areas you touched or moved and see if you have disconnected a cable or two...

Sorry, not familiar with CCM codes, but you might want to replace your antenna ring, though nothing to do with your current problem.

Success. I replaced the blower and resistor today and my CC works again. I read the codes after the installation and all but the three codes related to the power windows had gone away. I then erased those remaining codes.

The Behr blower and resistor that I purchased from FCP seemed identical to the original equipment, except for not saying "Volvo" on them.

The problem was the resistor, not the blower motor. I tested the blower unit directly from the battery and it jumped into life (actually it jumped right out of my hands when it started spinning - it is a powerful motor). So I now have an extra working blower in my garage, at least for a while, until my next cleanup urge strikes me.

Thanks for letting everyone know what the actual problem was and determining if it was the blower motor or resistor, always good to know the actual fix.