Default 07 xc90 repair cost, am I getting ripped off?

I brought my 07 xc90 3.2 in for replacement of the serpentine belt, idler and tensioner pulleys. From what I could see, I thought it was the water pump that was froze but they said no . Unless I am totally wrong, on this year and engine, the water pump is external and driven by the serpentine belt as opposed to earlier years which the timing belt drove the pump. To me it looks like the pump just under and offset of the ac compressor. That pulley is froze solid.
    Since the pump was not turning they supposedly performed a pressure test to make sure there was no warped heads or gaskets leaking as when the belt broke the motor over heated. Then they called today to say all the pulleys need to be" REMOVED" to clean them of any debris from the belt and if this was not done it could lead to big problems. I never heard of having to remove the pulleys to clean them. Bottom line they say it's gonna run about $1500 Sounds like total insanity to me.I wasn't expecting it to be cheap, but WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    3.2 in for replacement of the serpentine belt, idler and tensioner pulleys.
    Bottom line they say it's gonna run about $1500
    Retail replacement in my area of a 3.2 water pump is about $530 for just the pump and belt. But no one yet has just needed the pump and belt. I usually tell people it can be up to about $1500 because you can't tell exactly what is needed until you take it apart. Tensioner and idler pulleys, one way clutch in the belt drive pulley (31316803), and the water pump drive coupling (31219096) are common items used during water pump replacement. You may discover the vacuum pump leaking and take care of that also when it is off the engine.

You will want to make sure the thermostat is not broken internally and that the clutch on the front of the alternator is working when in that area also.