Default Garage recommendations in north van for a/c condenser replace

Local Volvo dealer Pattison warns $1100 to replace. Can buy a new TYC condenser from wrench monkey for $214 plus tax & shipping. Any suggestions for a shop to perform work? Thanks in advance.

Default Big Job & Caveats

Quote Originally Posted by Fordf150 View Post
    Local Volvo dealer Pattison warns $1100 to replace. Can buy a new TYC condenser from wrench monkey for $214 plus tax & shipping. Any suggestions for a shop to perform work? Thanks in advance.
    Had mine done 2-3 years ago on my 2008 XC70. I think the bottom alloy plug had started to leak, possibly due to winter salt corrosion in Ontario? I opted for a non-Volvo garage and that was a mistake. Regardless, the quote from Volvo must have included a refrigerant purge and refill - more costly than the part, plus our exorbitant labour rates and the dreaded HST.

The local garage tried to use a generic condenser, likely FoMoCo LOL. When I picked up my car, I noticed leaking antifreeze. The service manager told me it was just residual from the replacement. I believed him, but before getting home, about 25 km, I received a "low coolant" error message. I still did not think there was a problem, so I topped up my reservoir. Next day, after some driving, same thing and a small puddle of antifreeze was on the ground.

I had to take the XC back to the local garage and when I contacted them later, they admitted the generic condenser was oversized and had scored the fins on the radiator. They admitted it was their fault and ended up ordering the proper condenser and a new radiator from Volvo. So, going cheap might save a few bucks, but also could run into the same set of issues as I experienced. Thankfully my garage is honest and did not try to patch up the radiator.

Let us know how you make out.

My recent experiences with the high pressure power steering line, water pump, power steering pump, serpentine belt and idlers tells me these cars are not easy or cheap to repair. As we say in this part of Canada "bonne chance mon ami"

Cam