Default Any Glue For Bumper Material Like The Plumbing PVC Cement?

Hello folks, anyone know of a glue that will work on a car bumper like the PVC cement glue.
    This cement glue is specifically made for PVC; when applied, it tend to start melting the surface
    until the other PVC part is slid into it. It melt both contact areas to become one material.
    It stays put . . . the only way out is to cut it.

In the case of the bumper, I would have another bumper material (on the inside for repairs).

Thanks.
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)

I'm not sure if ABS pipe cement works the same way as the PVC but here you go. https://www.google.com/#q=abs+pipe+g...e=off&tbm=shop

You may also consider plastic welding.
    2005 XC70 Ruby Red
    2007 V70R GT 477/Nordkap

I think there are special materials for flexible bumper skins at automotive paint suppliers.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Quote Originally Posted by Scopeman View Post
    I think there are special materials for flexible bumper skins at automotive paint suppliers.
    https://www.semproducts.com/marine-m...-bumper-repair

I have not tested Plastic Welding Epoxy on my Volvo bumpers yet, but it works extremely well on most hard plastics and some flexible ones (like my Miata bumpers). I've used it on some Volvo interior plastics and trim pieces with great success. I would suggest you buy some of it. I use the Permatex brand. It comes in black or a tan color. Advance Auto carries it, but so do most hardware stores. Other brands are comparable; it comes in a double syringe type tube. I swear by this stuff. Even if it doesn't work on the bumpers, you'll be glad to have it for other plastic repairs, it's indispensable around the house and the garage. And yes, it does melt the plastic, which ensures a true chemical bond, not just a mechanical one. And unlike the PVC glue, it fills large gaps and can be sculpted and sanded when cured, as long as the plastic is compatible with the solvents in the epoxy.
    Last edited by Gene-M; 05-04-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    2004 Volvo XC70 83k
    1994 MX-5 Miata M-Edition 35k
    2003 Ford E-150 Econoline 110k

Default mechanic in a tube

Quote Originally Posted by Gene-M View Post
    I have not tested Plastic Welding Epoxy on my Volvo bumpers yet, but it works extremely well on most hard plastics and some flexible ones (like my Miata bumpers). I've used it on some Volvo interior plastics and trim pieces with great success. I would suggest you buy some of it. I use the Permatex brand. It comes in black or a tan color. Advance Auto carries it, but so do most hardware stores. Other brands are comparable; it comes in a double syringe type tube. I swear by this stuff. Even if it doesn't work on the bumpers, you'll be glad to have it for other plastic repairs, it's indispensable around the house and the garage. And yes, it does melt the plastic, which ensures a true chemical bond, not just a mechanical one. And unlike the PVC glue, it fills large gaps and can be sculpted and sanded when cured, as long as the plastic is compatible with the solvents in the epoxy.
    Yes, the alternatives are the solvent-epoxy and the heated plastic filer (think glue gun) for small issues on bumpers. For large issues maybe just replace the bumper skin, although on my 07 xc70 that would be $540- + for the bumper cover and $210- + or so for the metal plate and securing rivets that go over it (from tascaparts.com). Read the labels on the solvent-epoxy containers carefully if/when you're buying - they differ a little.

The whole thing makes me think fondly of the flat black chevrolet-killer-commando bumpers on my '89 740.

Albertj

Thanks for all the info here.
    I got the plastic welding kit (iron, plastic strips, gauze) with YouTube, I got it done.
    Now, I need to file the area up and paint. Will find a way to texture the surface to look much like the original.

Where can I get a touch-up paint for the 2001 XC70 bumper?

Thanks.
    2001 Volvo V70XC/AWD/Auto/Turbo/164k Miles (Maroon)
    2001 Volvo XC70/AWD/Auto/Turbo/151k Miles (Brown)
    2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean/3.0/131K/AWD (Maroon)
    2005 Volvo XC90/AWD/V8/Auto 111K Miles (Black)
    2006 Toyota Sienna LE/AWD 124K Miles(Green)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1985 BMW (E23) 735i(US)/AUTO/209K Miles (Parked since 2011)
    1997 Mazda MPV/AUTO/4WD/173K Miles (Parked since 2008)