Default Chirping from the vents

2010 XC70 here.

At times I will hear a continuous high-pitched chirping from the heater/ac vents. Raising or lowering the fan speed manually makes the sound go away (and turning off the fan stops it completely, of course).

So... blower motor? Or something else? Are there intermediate fans behind each of the vents? I'm having a hard time pinpointing whether the sound is coming from all of the vents or not, but SEEMS to be only coming from the center console vents.

I would go with the blower motor as the cause of the noise. I have an intermittent squeak from mine as well. Depends on the conditions if it shows it self.

I looked through my VIDA to replace mine and found that it is located in the middle of the dash and needs a special tool to remove. I will be leaving it until the noise becomes constant and really irritating.

I had this exact problem, when I described it to the dealer thatís exactly what they said: If you can reproduce it by changing the blower speed, itís a defective fan. Mine was much worse when the engine was cold. They replaced the entire unit under warranty.

Same here too, but naturally the dealership was reluctant to accept my diagnosis. I said it sounded like a 140 or 240 series heater motor, where the motor shaft would rust, overheat the oiless bearings and eventually seize. Under warranty, 1st trip they did nothing; asked me to book a separate appointment so they could confirmed my prognosis. When I told them to go ahead and replace the blower motor, they told me to book a 3rd appointment because they had not ordered in the replacement blower. One red herring was they suggested my problem might be caused by rodents, which they said was not covered as a warranty replacement DUH - that's when I smelled the real "rat". Good luck.

Definitely blower motor - you can do replacement yourself. Motor is BEHR repackaged by the dealer as 31291516 and sold for twice as much. The special tool you can order from amazon and yes - you can use it once, but dealer can charge you $1000 for the replacement. All you need is here:
    https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=62130