Thumbs up Replaced front struts, nice ride

Just a commentary. At 268K miles I had a new front suspension kit installed this past week including Sachs struts, strut mounts, XC90 spring seats, bump stops, etc. Numerous other items and bushes had already been replaced. The ride wasn't bad before, not noticeably bad at least. These struts and so on were possibly original since I have no records of service on these items. My mechanic said these weren't bad compared to some struts he was replacing the same week on a couple of other Volvos. And despite the high mileage, this car has spent most of its life in the southern US, far enough south to have been driven on nice smooth mostly pot hole free roads. I've read some of your comments about how bad the roads are in other places. I didn't hear any clunks going over bumps, only this winter on a couple of the very coldest days in single digits Fahrenheit I heard for the first time some creaking in the struts. And I had noticed recently on a certain stretch of road that I travel that the car was kind of bouncy in one area where the road sort of sinks on one side then the other back and forth in one stretch. That one stretch would get a little hairy.

Anyway, I'll get to the point. After driving it for about 5 days under various conditions after repairs, I have to say the improvement is much more dramatic that I realized at first. Initially I thought, yeah this is pretty good and definitely smoother. But now I can say after driving under various conditions that it is WAY better overall! I definitely got my money's worth. Much better travelling on gravel roads with some degree of washboard surface, WAY better going over speed bumps, smoother going over any bumps or rough places or undulation in the roads. And today at 75 MPH on the interstate I noticed it actually travels smoother all of the time at higher speeds. I hadn't realized that at 70+ MPH the little bit of vibration that I felt was not normal, which was transferred up into the passenger compartment and has always been there. But now what felt like it could have been caused by anything from subframe bushes to normal tire wear to axles to any one of several causes has virtually disappeared. This didn't really seem like an issue at all because it was very slight and very subtle, and I only discovered now after the rest of the front suspension has been refreshed that the struts and associated parts have improved the overall feel at 70+ MPH highway speeds. It is like a dream now. I think NOW for the first time I finally get it and I know what a new car Volvo ride must feel like.

I am very impressed. I had saved up for this repair because it was $444 just for the parts and it seemed like something that wasn't urgent, so I had waited until some other repairs were taken care of first. For awhile it seemed like every month or so it was one thing after another, new exhaust, new tires, an oil leak, new back brakes, a couple of engine mounts, another oil leak, front axles. This latest repair was me catching up the last of the normal wear items that had probably been neglected for years by previous owners.

But man am I happy now that this repair is done and I'm feeling real results from it.
    Last edited by tmcmilli; 04-23-2017 at 07:07 PM.
    Tom McMillion

2002 V70XC 278K miles bought Dec. 2013 w/ 156K
    This replaced a '97 850 with 401K miles

It is nice when you spend money and have a noticeable improvement. I did the same 2 years ago and it was money well spent. After that I did the subframe bushing inserts and that made a huge difference as well. Just ordered a second set for the used XC70 I just picked up for my son and also ordered the front end suspension components to install.

D-

Now finish and install new rear shocks, the difference will astound you
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Smile

270,000 Miles!

I just did my '07 at just under 100k (155k kms).

Struts and shocks were both completely toasted. Zero gas pressure, collapsible with one hand, all covered with oil, and one rear was completely seized onto the rear control arm.

Alignment Monday, we'll see what kind of an improvement I get.

Thank you for the information, I'm thinking of doing mine, my XC70 has 145K. Suspension work has been done, but I am not sure about the struts, they do groan a bit over speed bumps.

I did all four corners with new springs as well at 170k miles. Shocks, bearing plates, xc90 spring seats and I have to say it doesn't ride much better....I get a crunching noise over speed bumps which sounds like bad spring seats, but they are new....for me seemed like a wast of money given the expense. Maybe other things are bad in the suspension that need attending to but I expected a big impact given the age and mileage.

Open to suggestions. At this point I only drive it because I have to and don't enjoy it much anymore primarily because of the ride.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

String-and-tapemeasure alignment for toe and a test drive. Huge difference. Rides somewhere between 4C Comfort and Sport settings (the old units were the adjustable 4C items). 4C Service Required shows on DIM at startup (expected). Shop on Monday for full 4 wheel align. But I think I'm going to like it.

Crunching over speed bumps might be sway bar bushings or links. Links last under 75k kms here - I installed my third set with the new struts. Also a new left outer tie rod end.