Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Spent several more hours on the XC today and finished the turbo lines and installed the air filter housing and tied in the prop shaft to the rear end. Went to fire it up and just a "click" "click". Batt has juice and is still original - load tested and it is fine for this summer, but I will replace before winter. Not too shabby with 12 years on a batt. My other XC70, the stock battery lasted 12 years as well, but last winter it start cranking a bit too slow and I replaced it. I retraced my steps from the prior night remembered I was getting ready to knock off right about the time I installed the harness on the motor, so I checked the starter and nut wasn't tight on the starter solenoid, problem solved.

Noticed a bit of antifreeze under the car and I traced it to the copper crush washers on the turbo. I cranked them tighter, but still a drip so this may need more attention....

Cranked the car over, now that the starter is getting enough juice, but the car cranks too freely, so I need to confirm timing. I've never been found of Volvo timing marks and wonder why they make them so difficult to find. Hopefully after that it will start right up.

D-
    Last edited by dmackey; 05-24-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Other projects are getting in my way and I'm, spread a little thin, but eager to wrap this up. Ordered new copper crush washers and ready to install to see if that solve the antifreeze leak. Found the timing issue and that's an easy cure. Hoping to jump back in tomorrow night and start it. Need to grab some misc items - dip stick broke the handle and springs for the turbo heat shield.

D-
    Last edited by dmackey; 05-24-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Didn't realize it's been so long since I updated and lots going on. Went to fire it up and believe I'm off on the timing marks as I was not getting the feel of strong compression strokes. I put the car on the back burner to get my spring projects done, but ready to focus back on the XC.

D-

Played with the timing again tonight and the battery would not cooperate, so I'm going to grab a new one tomorrow. I previously mentioned the battery was OK for summer use, but after several weeks of sitting, it could not muster much energy. Hopefully I will be able to start the car tomorrow night.

D-

Good luck! Look forward to seeing your old battery on your kitchen table!

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Quote Originally Posted by perkinscl View Post
    Good luck! Look forward to seeing your old battery on your kitchen table!
    Had to laugh and sorry to disappoint, but the battery has a core charge, so there was no need to put on the kitchen table. I put in the front passenger side of my other XC70 to drop off tomorrow.

SUCCESS, car fired up, but I was a tooth off in the cam timing, so a quick adjustment and she was running better. I say better because it had a skip and it sounded like 1 cyl wasn't firing, so looked at the dash and had a no oil pressure warning and shut it down. A quick check under the oil fill cap showed nice clean oil and there was no lifter noise, so I am sure the motor was getting pressure. I checked the sender and it's weeping oil, so I'll grab a new one tomorrow and replace. Fired the car back up, now that I know the oil issue is not an issue, and started pulling coil pack wires and there was little difference, but then it suddenly ran smooth, then back to rough. My thoughts on this are fuel injector(s) that are clogged since the replacement motor had the fuel lines cut and open with no protection, so I'll plan a little more with that and have an extra fuel rail with injectors from the take-out motor that should be good.

So what's left?
    - Install serpentine belt
    - check on drip from turbo coolant line - suspect a copper washer is not sealing
    - Hook up steering column to rack
    - Replace oil pressure sender
    - Check fluid levels (trans)
    - ABS light on - suspect the reluctance ring I installed or a sender, need to check alignment of ring to sensor

Still have other distractions since I'm buffing the hull of out Nordic Tug and getting ready to launch next week.

D-

Great read mackey... ABS light - check the sender and the wire to it.

Did you check the ignition coils to ensure they're all good?

I have enjoyed reading about your progress, I'm glad it is running now!

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    Great read mackey... ABS light - check the sender and the wire to it.

Did you check the ignition coils to ensure they're all good?
    It won't be until the weekend until I get to the XC70 again. Been burning the candle at both ends and spending most evenings in the boatyard compounding and waxing the boat and doing other overdue projects and I'm 3 weeks behind due to all the rain we've had this spring. This car came at the wrong time and I needed another project like a another hole in my head....

Grabbed the oil sending unit today and have extra coils and injectors from the old motor. Once I have more time I can nail down the exact rough running issue, but I'm leaning toward injector(s). ABS issue - I'm wondering if the reluctance ring I installed is aligned properly, but will also check the sensor as well. I appreciate the input and hope to nail these items down soon.

D-

I did not ghost on my thread, June has been nothing but distractions - family wedding, graduations, business trips and more. Seems like everything is against me, but I can see light at the end of the tunnel and should be able to log some project time when I return home later Friday. I'm eager to get the XC running and out of the garage.

I knew going into this project that this spring I had more on my plate than in past years and almost passed on the car, but I'm patient and freeing up the garage stall is a motivating force.

D-

D-

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast