Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Haldex oil change - Issue to remove the rear prop shaft.

Hi all,

My car is an XC AWD 2006.
    I am new to this kind of project on my car, so bear with me.

I have been trying to remove the rear propeller shaft since this morning, but so far I was only able to remove the 6 allen bolts.

Since my car is on cribbing stands (14" space to work is very nice), I cannot rotate the propshaft, therefore I could only put one m8 bolt (20mm long) on the back of the flange as an attempt to push the propshaft out the flange.

The fact that I cannot rotate the propshaft seems to be a big issue, as I cannot put one or two more m8 bolts on the back of the flange to help pushing the thing out.

So my questions are:

1) In order to be able to rotate the propshaft with my hands, should the car have the 4 wheels freed up (which essentially means to put it on jack stands) ?
    2) If the answer to 1) is yes, do I have to put the gear in Neutral and try to rotate the propshaft with my hands? Or do I have to put the Neutral and rotate the wheels by hand to get the propshaft to rotate?

If the answer to 1) is no, please provide more details.

3) Anything else I need to remove in addition to the propshaft centre bearing?

Any advice is very welcome.

Thank you
    Alex
    My XC 70

Hi all,

OK, car is on the stands now, rotating one of the front wheels rotates the shaft, which is good.

What is not good is that I tried already 2 bolts on the back of the flange, no movement.
    I wonder, the bolts are 20mm long, once they are all in they should push the shaft out, why does it not move??

Can I use PB Blaster all around the cv joint to see if that helps?
    Also, on the back of the flange where the m8 20mm bolts screw in?

Do you think removing the central bearing holder and allowing the shaft to bend may help someway?

Thank you
    Alex
    My XC 70

Are you removing the shaft just to replace the AOC oil?
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Yes, as far as I see, this is the only way.
    My XC 70

Can be done without removal of the shaft, difficult time consuming with a few altered allen wrenches to reinstall the new filter, turning fractions of a turn at a time, PTA, been there,

Hi,

The filter can be removed that way, but not the oil pump, there are only 2mm (1/16) between the pump and the flange, therefore it cannot be removed and if you do not remove the oil pump you won't be able to vacuum all the oil.

Since I have removed the muffler and the exhaust because they needed to be changed, for me this is a unique opportunity and if you want to do it well it needs to be done by removing the shaft.

Alex
    My XC 70

When you remove the allen bolts from the rear cv joint the shaft should just about fall out if you have the center bearing out. I am not sure what you are saying about the bolts on the back of the flange. A few photos might help.

On the back of the flange there are two/three extra holes where you can screw M8 20mm bolts in order to push the shaft out, usually one does the trick, but not in my case.

The centre bearing is loose, but not enough to allow to bend the shaft, I will try to undo it completely so that I can bend the shaft and see if that is the problem preventing it to pop-out.

I will let you know how things evolve.

Thanks
    Alex
    My XC 70

OK guys, I must be doing something wrong here, the darn thing does not come off, something is holding it but cannot see what.

Maybe from the pictures you can see something I do not see,

I follow the instructions below:

1) Remove the screws from the propeller shaft center bearing. done
    2) Slacken off the screws in the support for the center bearing on the right-hand side a few turns. done
    3) Fully remove the screws on the left-hand side done
    4) Let the center support hang down so that the propeller shaft can be angled. done
    5) Remove the screw from the joint. If this is meant the one left in the flange for safety reason then I did it
    6) Press the shaft joints together, detach it from the flange. Do they mean the ones I circled in the picture??
    7) Remove the shaft.

Thank you!
    Alex
    My XC 70

By chance, do I have to unbolt the front cv joint to remove the rear one??

Alex
    My XC 70

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast