Default High Beams stay on even after XC70 is shut off - 2003 XC70

I'm the original owner and have gone over 152,000 miles. Suddenly today, the high beams stay own after engine is shut off, key is removed and driver's door is closed., I tried everything but cannot get the high beams to go off. Went to my mechanic who had never heard of the high beams staying on. The only thing that I can do to get the high beams to go off is to remove the fuse for High Beams and search for an answer. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thank you, Sandy
    Last edited by Sandy1A; 03-16-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: corrected typos

Answered on Swedespeed
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Default Additional Info

Here's some additional info:
    Turning the daylight control knob to the parking lights mode should turn off the high beams, but it no longer does that. The high beams stay on.
    Another problem with the high beams that I have had for about 6 mos. is that the blue dashboard indicator light does not always light up when the high beams are on.
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy1A View Post
    Turning the daylight control knob to the parking lights mode should turn off the high beams, but it no longer does that. The high beams stay on.
    Another problem with the high beams that I have had for about 6 mos. is that the blue dashboard indicator light does not always light up when the high beams are on.
    Sandy
    Be SURE to look at JRLs post on Swedespeed, wherever it is I could not find it (but I did not look hard either). If he did not mention it, check the multifunction switch (the stalk that you use to turn on the high beams), and by the way was your car ever wrecked?

Hi albertj,
    I have seen JRL's post on SwedeSpeed: "If you pull the high beams towards you when you leave the car, they will stay on for a minute. I don't know where the actual switch or relay for this function is, but that's probably where your failure is. Find a wiring diagram and look there."
    No, this XC70 has never been wrecked.
    Sandy
    Previous Volvos owned: 245, 850GLT and Bertone 262C

Sandy
    Not sure that this is the main problem, possibly merely just another result; but when I lost the high beam indicator on my '02's cluster, it was just another sign that the cluster was failing. First it was sporadic then it was just off regardless of what the high beams were doing. This went on for a couple of years (the car wasn't being driven that much at night anyway) until the cluster failed completely. Perhaps someone knows and can speak up as to if the high beam circuitry involves the dash cluster? Your car is in the affected years for cluster issues so......maybe?

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

+1 on what Billr99 said about the high beam indicator on the speedometer cluster. I had the same experience with mine.

cannot get the high beams to go off.
    You could simply have a bad turn signal switch - it might be stuck in the high beam flash mode.
    Does the Turn signal switch feel normal when you pull the switch back to flash or try to switch from low to high beam?

I would look for the simple stuff first and disconnect the ts switch to see if the high beams stay off.