Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    I have similar occasional no start 2-3 times a year on a 2005. The car has no fuel pressure problems whatsoever, once it starts.

Fuel pump controller (PEM) had a recall, the fix was to physically relocate it from rear right wheel area to the trunk. Also PEM design was changed a bit to address excessive oxidation issue.

What I did with my PEM is sanded contacts lightly, cleaned with CRC electric cleaner and put some dielectric grease to prevent further oxidation. Starts reliably for now, will see how it goes.
    I wonder if it was the same issue for me. I guess it's too late now... I'll see if this problem arises again even with the new pump.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    What about the ~$930 that may have been spent needlessly?
    You're right. As far as the mechanic is concerned it's a faulty part. He ordered a new one. They put a new part and the car works now without a problem. If this problem reoccurs though, I'm changing my mechanic and will take the car back for a free fix before I do that.

I wish I was more mechanically inclined and had the time to diagnose and change the fuel by myself. I could have saved at least half of the $.

Something very strange happened tonight! The car worked strong and even I thought I had better mileage in city. Didn't drive yesterday and drove it to the work today which is 5kms away. On my way back, the car stalled twice! Never had that issue before? This was in the first 5 or 600 metres. Later the car started and I made it back home without a problem.

I have no warning signs in the dashboard. It's a mystery to me... anyone has an idea?

How much gas was in the tank? I've been having similar stalling issues when the gas drops below 1/4 tank. My mechanic thinks it's the fuel pump but isn't certain.

It's around 1/4 (perhaps less) but this never happened before. I'll put some gas and see if it changes anything.
    Thanks!

Well, now starts and stops after a few seconds. Unbelievable!

Very good, it would be easier to sort it out for the guy who'll be doing the repair.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    Very good, it would be easier to sort it out for the guy who'll be doing the repair.
    I hope... it absolutely acts like a faulty fuel pump but I started to think maybe it's something else which causes this.

Quote Originally Posted by avrjon View Post
    I hope... it absolutely acts like a faulty fuel pump but I started to think maybe it's something else which causes this.
    This is what happened to me: I drove from Toronto, with full tank of gas, to Kingston on Saturday morning with no issues at all; on Monday, coming back from Kingston, it lost power on the highway a few times. Each time I pulled over, it stalled but immediately restarted. Finally, it wouldn't restart and I had to get it towed back. Mechanic thought it was fuel pump but was not certain so I didn't go ahead with that. Since, I notice if it drops below a 1/4 tank, it acts up. When filled above that, no problems and it runs beautifully. I'm going to get it checked with VIDA as a next step.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    This is what happened to me: I drove from Toronto, with full tank of gas, to Kingston on Saturday morning with no issues at all; on Monday, coming back from Kingston, it lost power on the highway a few times. Each time I pulled over, it stalled but immediately restarted. Finally, it wouldn't restart and I had to get it towed back. Mechanic thought it was fuel pump but was not certain so I didn't go ahead with that. Since, I notice if it drops below a 1/4 tank, it acts up. When filled above that, no problems and it runs beautifully. I'm going to get it checked with VIDA as a next step.
    Wow! Very scary! If you find the culprit let me know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast