Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question 2005 XC 70 potential fuel pump issue

Hello everyone!

Everything was working great till the other day. My Volvo didn't start yesterday morning. I thought it could be the battery but when CAA came to boost my battery he said it should be something else. I guessed it could be injection or fuel pump and had my car towed to my indie.

He diagnosed it as non functioning fuel pump and ordered the piece for me. The part was almost $500 and I didn't have time to order online cheaper so I agreed. He spent like 3 hours to install the pump. It works now and we park it as I go inside to pay. After I get in the car, the car doesn't work and SRS airbag urgent service light pops up. We push the car inside and we check it and my mechanic advises the part might be bad. He wants to order a new one.

Of course, I'm not paying anything extra after paying $930 + tax. I am just wondering if the problem could be something else. Has anyone encountered such thing? It looks like fuel pump but it's a bit interesting that the car would run without a problem and then not start up.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by avrjon View Post
    had my car towed to my indie.
    He diagnosed it as non functioning fuel pump
    mechanic advises the NEW part might be bad
    wondering if the problem could be something else.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    You might want to have him put your old fuel pump back in, refund your money and have the car towed to someone that could diagnose the problem without spending ~$930 first to replace a part that was not bad (maybe paying an hour for his diagnostic time would be fair - you just want a second opinion )

If the car stays where it is - you will be out that $930 that did not fix the problem.

You should at least get your old fuel pump back so the next shop can put it back in and find the real problem. Then give the new one back to the first shop and ask for a refund.

Can you be more specific about your starting problem? Is the car cranking and cranking but the engine not firing up? I guess this would indicate lack of fuel or lack of spark...
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Does this shop have VIDA, or a really full function scanner like Snap-On? They should be able to test the fuel pump and fuel pressure parameters with the engine not running. This may point to a the problem.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Actually, the car started but stopped after a second. When we hook it up to the OBD II system, it read fuel pressure problem. We disconnected the little hose going to the fuel filter and tried to start the car. The fuel should have squirted but nothing happened. I mean it looks like a fuel pump issue but I'm just wondering if there are other parts which disable the fuel pump to work. A sensor? Something electrical?

They have a full scanner, Scopeman.

Actually, the car started but stopped after a second. When we hook it up to the OBD II system, it read fuel pressure problem. We disconnected the little hose going to the fuel filter and tried to start the car. The fuel should have squirted but nothing happened. I mean it looks like a fuel pump issue but I'm just wondering if there are other parts which disable the fuel pump to work. A sensor? Something electrical?
    Yeah...this clearly isn't a Volvo shop. "full scanner" means, what, exactly?

There are lots of requirements for the ECU to energize the fuel pump. Pulling the hose may, or may not, have diagnosed the pump. VIDA tells you the steps to diagnose and reads the ECU parameters.

A "full scanner" doesn't do either.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

[QUOTE=Astro14;195233]Yeah...this clearly isn't a Volvo shop. "full scanner" means, what, exactly?

There are lots of requirements for the ECU to energize the fuel pump. Pulling the hose may, or may not, have diagnosed the pump. VIDA tells you the steps to diagnose and reads the ECU parameters.

A "full scanner" doesn't do either.[/

That's good to know, thank you very much for your feedback. I'll go and see if they were able solve the problem.

I have similar occasional no start 2-3 times a year on a 2005. The car has no fuel pressure problems whatsoever, once it starts.

Fuel pump controller (PEM) had a recall, the fix was to physically relocate it from rear right wheel area to the trunk. Also PEM design was changed a bit to address excessive oxidation issue.

What I did with my PEM is sanded contacts lightly, cleaned with CRC electric cleaner and put some dielectric grease to prevent further oxidation. Starts reliably for now, will see how it goes.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

I'll go and see if they were able solve the problem.
    What about the ~$930 that may have been spent needlessly?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast