Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Default Seeking a Mentor for the PCV Kit/Cleaning

Ahoy !
    Re: 2001 w/ Turbo PCV service
    Is there anyone in the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor who has done the PCV maintenance and would be kind enough to discuss the procedure ?
    I've started researching the Youtube demo's. But, honestly, without a paper shop manual and experience (my first Volvo), I'd learn better and feel more comfortable talking with someone who's done the job.
    Advice sincerely invited and gratefully welcome.
    Thanks.
    Regards,
    Richard Cielec
    2001 V70 XC
    Greater Chicago Metro

I'm in a similar boat and not even sure which kit to buy. FCP has two kits that total out around $400 for both. I was wondering whether you plan to replace all the parts as some have recommended including those crazy expensive hoses. I wonder how necessary that it. Incidentally, I've only seen the youtube videos for the later models, and don't even know if they're the same. If you find some good tutorials in your search, please post the links. Good luck finding someone. I'd love that too. I have a buddy three states away who loves to work on cars and has a great setup, but he has no Volvo experience. I'm just afraid that if we screwed up and needed parts, I'd be stuck there all week waiting to get my car back on the road.

This should help you guys. It is harder the first time with tight spaces so not knowing what angles and where to put force makes it a challenge. I've listed various tricks I've learned after doing this job about 4x now.

http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvo....htm#487754928

On the big expensive L hose, here is how its constructed so you can think about if you want to replace it. It has about a 1/4"-3/8" ID tube that vents the pressurized air. The inner walls of the tube is probably lightly coated with oily soot. Spray some throttle body cleaner in there will always come out brown on the other end but certainly any major blockage will be removed by some weed whacker lines + solvent. There are also coolant line within that hose running side by side with the air channel (to keep the pressure venting channel warm... likely way over designed in my view). All of this is enclosed in foam. I've never replaced it myself and just a bit of clearing/cleaning.

Also read the section after PCV on modifying PCV boost circuit. Some enthusiasts on older 850s and V70s (similar PCV system design) discovered it was just easier to replace and enlarge that air vent pipe to vent the higher blowby pressure on older engines. These 01+ 5 cylinders don't seem to have as much blowby as they age so its likely unnecessary. Just noting there is nothing magical about that L shaped hose. Just a place to vent the pressure when intake manifold don't have any vacuum (under turbo boost)

Anyhow, hope this helps. Would help you guys if I was closer. You can PM me after reading+research and I can walk you through the tricky steps over the phone for clarity.
    Last edited by howardc64; 03-03-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/

I did some searching but couldn't find the two tutorials I used. They had good pix. I didn't see Howard's info when I was doing my repair two years ago but It looks pretty thorough and Howard knows his stuff. I spent a lot of time reading everything I could so I would have an idea of what I was in for before I started pulling everything apart. A few pointers/suggestions:

1. Take your time/work slowly. Everything that comes off has to go back on so pay attention and label things where necessary (use color-coded twist ties?) to avoid confusion on reassembly.
    2. To get at the pesky 10mm corner lower manifold bolt, I used a 1/4" (not 1/2") wobble extension.
    3. Last I looked, the IPD kit uses clamps which require a crimping tool so have one on hand if you go that route. I used the FCPEuro kit.
    4. You need a special tool to detach the fuel line. Cheap at any auto parts store.
    5. Plan to remove/clean the throttle body. You'll want to buy a new throttle body gasket (cheap) and have a spray cleaner for the gunk. I had a can of brake cleaner lying around.
    6. I would drain the coolant using the radiator petcock before starting the job to avoid the mess of dripping coolant when removing hoses. Make sure you put it back in when finished!

Lots of us have done this job so we should be able to bail you out if you get stuck somewhere. Some people say this is a 6-hour job but I would allow two days/eves. My job was more involved because I also had to replace the timing belt and a cam seal that was leaking.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

That's some really helpful advice there Howard and Xfingers. I'm familiar with "Howard's" web pages; I'm assuming that's you Howard, and I appreciate your help to the community with those pages and your response to this thread. Thanks very much for the offer of PM and or phone help if need. That's very generous of you. Those pages are what got me thinking that it should probably be done now that I'm approaching 81k.

Anyway, you guys seem to have answered some critical questions here, especially the one about that $200 hose, and that's a very good start for me. Xfingers, your list is also very helpful thanks for taking the time. I plan to bookmark this page. As for tools, if I do go ahead and do this with my friend, I'm willing to bet that he has any and every tool that would be needed for this job. But I'm going take that advice and pick up those special tools you mentioned either way.

On another note, if I chicken out, and old friend of mine and his son own the only authorized Volvo repair shop in the area. I just don't know if I trust their friendly staff of gorillas to do the job for me after seeing some of the cob jobs they've done on my van and my buddy's Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene-M View Post
    now that I'm approaching 81k.
    Since you have an 04 (saw model year from your other posts). Keep in mind Volvo seems to tweak these cars every year so there might be slight differences. I've heard on the 2.5T engines, the lower passenger side bolt on the manifold is really hard to get off. Never worked on one so don't have experience here.

Resource page has this PCV replacement doc on XC90 2.5T engine. Might give this a look since you have a 2.5T (03+ XC70) Guide mentions pulling off the thermostat housing to deal with this lower manifold bolt. http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/h...EPLACEMENT.pdf
    Last edited by howardc64; 03-04-2017 at 02:51 AM.
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6

I didn't have any trouble with that bolt on my wife's 05 s60.

To the OP there really isn't much out there as far as videos. I certainly couldn't have done it without a little guidance from the shop manager at my local dealer giving me a few pointers. The only thing I found most helpful was when I was told to use a crows foot to loosen the lower left bolt on the intake manifold. And to that I recommend taping the crows foot to an extension if you do go that route. Good luck!

Thank you, Howard.
    Very generous of you.
    All the best,
    Richard Cielec
    Greater Chicago Metro

Ahoy !
    Special tools ?
    Can anyone be specific, please ? What special tools ?
    All the best,
    Richard Cielec
    Greater Chicago Metro

Quote Originally Posted by heydere View Post
    Special tools ?
    Can anyone be specific, please ? What special tools ?
    My link and post #4 list #4 indicates fuel line disconnect tool. They have few different diameters so probably best to have car nearby when you buy it. Cheap ones look like these http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0044&ppt=C0052

Post #7 mentions a crows foot is helpful for the 2.5T engines (03+) Since you have an 01, its not necessary. But you do need a couple of long 1/4" extensions as noted in my link.

You should read through my link carefully which was for an 01, it should be nearly exactly what you will encounter (I think Volvo even made tinkering changes within the 01 year)

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast