All,

I just finished installing the cargo divider net kit (30721673) - it was $256 + shipping from TascaParts (no affiliation, they had the cheapest price*). I got it mostly because I find the rear cargo area way too large and stuff just floats around. I had a load bar in my SUV, which worked great but was a pain, this seemed like a good 'Volvo' solution.

I don't have any pictures, it pretty much looks like the stock photos and the instructions are pretty good.

A few things I wanted to note for other people installing this:

• It's not clear from the instructions, but screws are supposed to go into holes on the aluminum strap brackets (they are hidden under the existing panel plastic). The instructions have you drill a hole in the plastic the size of the screw to expose the holes.
  • You will not hit the holes, it's virtually impossible to line up your drilled hole regardless of what the instructions would have you believe. If you have a factory jig to line it all up, it might work, but this way (blind) no way.
  • To get around this, drill oversize holes (I went through several bit sizes, 1/4" was the magic size). It doesn't matter, the hole is under the new side panel and the plastic gets sandwiched tightly between the new panel and the aluminum bracket. What matters is getting the screw into the aluminum hole....
  • Be very gentle drilling the holes in the plastic, not too much pressure. You can easily go into the aluminum
  • The aluminum is NOT tapped, e.g. there are no threads in the aluminum. The instructions suggest this and that you will have to force the screw in (although, confusingly, it reads as if you are forcing the screw into plastic). IMHO, this is a bad idea.
  • To get around this, I used a tap (I have a full machine shop, so had the right size around....). It's a 5mm 0.80 thread tap, IRC, but double check against the screw to be sure.
  • To get everything to line up, I poked the screws through the new side panel (after removing the film off the tape), held the side panel away from the old panel and got screws started at both ends. I then added the last two screws before sticking it down and screwing the screw home.
  • If you don't first tap the threads, it will be very hard going, use a ratchet. I did this with one screw, it was not fun.
  • Total time was 1 hour for the first side & 30 minutes for the 2nd. Knowing what I now know, I think it is doable in 30-45 min, but you need a tap & a larger bit.
  • The lock for the tubes holding the cargo net is very fiddly. Still haven't figured that one out.

I came to the conclusion while installing this that the Swedes are separated at birth from the Japanese. The attention to detail, esp. the bag hooks, speaks to a culture that values details. Everything is very precise, even if it is made from cheaper materials, although the plastics involved in these parts are def. not cheap, they are very much 'luxury' plastics. Also, 'Made in Latvia', which is kinda cool, although the fabric bits are 'Made in Poland'.

Hope this was helpful.

Chris.

*Tasca did at first screw up my order (they sent the wrong parts), but then fixed it.