Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ignition Switch Tumblers / Key Lock

Looks like it failed on the car - Able to get it started then straight home .. But it has now locked up again with both keys inoperable.

Is this a Dealership Item fix only ?

Can a remote locksmith fix this with some parts ?

Is there anything I can do for this on my own ??

Sort of a needed ASAP Fix as well.
    2001 X/C 70 - Youngest son's car for someone that is 6'10" tall - and it fits him like a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    Looks like it failed on the car - Able to get it started then straight home .. But it has now locked up again with both keys inoperable.

Is this a Dealership Item fix only ?

Can a remote locksmith fix this with some parts ?

Is there anything I can do for this on my own ??

Sort of a needed ASAP Fix as well.
    I had to take mine to a the dealer. They had to order a new key and matching ignition switch from overseas and then install. That was my experience, others may have figured out another way.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Thanks 8pack- Yup it looks that way for myself as well so far .

Part is VIN coded and current cost with three-five days out once ordered is $312.

No locksmiths around here will touch it as it is.

Still trying to get a call back cost from the Dealer Service Dept for Removal/Install.
    2001 X/C 70 - Youngest son's car for someone that is 6'10" tall - and it fits him like a glove.

Do you happen to know if the car will have to be reprogrammed with the new ignition switch ?

I still have to find out if my current key's will be fitted with the new one, If I need new key's that will not match the door ... or what ever else.

Wow - Dealer out the door price is $975 .....But he said it does not need to be programed.

Still gotta order the part no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    Looks like it failed on the car - But it has now locked up again
    Usually the problem is the key will not turn to the start position, due to a problem in the steering column lock. Key usually turns to unlock the column then to the "on/ignition" position, but not to the start position. Typical solution is a replacement steering column lock.(special ordered to your vin/key code, ~3 days from dealer only) Part is around $300 list price, with a couple hours labor to drill out the security bolts and bolt on the new one. No software or reprogramming needed, just a simple replace the part. (after getting the headless bolts out) Others have mentioned methods to "make it work again" by prying or "futzing" with the steel plate on the bottom the lock.

If you can only turn the key to the on position and not to the start position - as long as the steering column is unlocked, you can remove the electrical portion of the ignition switch and use a screw driver to turn it to start the car. (with the key in tumbler so it talks to the immobilizer) Unfortunately the windows/ventilation system wont work with the electrical portion loose from the steering lock - but you can move the car

I had a similar problem with my 2007 XC. The key would turn to position I, but no further. Tried two different keys with same result. The problem seems to be a broken component in the mechanical portion of the switch. If you do some searching, you'll find instructions for a "fix." Basically, the fix is to get the broken piece out of the assembly. I removed the plastic covering the underside of the steering wheel and then pried off the metal plate from the bottom of the ignition switch. I used a dremmel tool to take off some of the metal at the edges of the plate and then forced a screwdriver in and pried off the plate. Once the plate popped off, a small pin and a spring fell out. I believe this pin had been preventing the locking mechanism from sliding downward to free the ignition. That's all. I put the plastic cover back on and it has been working fine ever since. The only downside I am aware of is that the wheel lock no longer works. Anyway, this seems to be a very common problem. Good luck with your repair.

Thanks -

The Part is ordered- they took the last six #'s of the VIN and said it should be in 3 to 5 days. Supposed to come key coded the same - and not need a reprogramming ? <Crossing Fingers>

Now to now to find someone, garage/locksmith to replace it .... Son is upset on the cost of this - But I told him it is the nature of the Beast - and don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickDriver View Post
    I had a similar problem with my 2007 XC. The key would turn to position I, but no further.
    This one - If the tumblers are pushed in on the Cylinder - Will not move at all.

I can find the sweet spot with the key in - And not as well .... It's like throwing Dice and looking at them when thrown.

Will pick up the part when it comes in - and take it to someone local that will do this job. Hoping for $250 out of pocket.

Sorry to post late on this. Wasn't sure what your problem was. I encountered this once and have a free fix but sounds like you already spent the money. Some people say the fix doesn't last forever but some say it does.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=67531

In the 3rd and 4th picture in this link shows a zinc plate at the bottom of the tumbler. I didn't take the plate out. Rather, I just dremeled 2 cutting area closest to the driver in pic 3 and got the plate loosened. The key turned freely after that.

There is a complex guillotine system inside the tumbler that provides security locking mechanism. A ear breaks and jams somewhere. This is why loosening the zinc plate which probably unjammed the system solved it for me.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...=67376#p351365
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast