Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BEJinFBK View Post
    The OP does indeed have 2000 - It's Geoff69a1 from post 5 that has the 2001 P2.
    I would agree that comparing a 2000 to a 2001 is a whole different kettle of fish.
    The 2001 goes from basic module networking to a CEM that gets involved in most
    all of the electrical systems in the car and has several other significant differences.

For my money, I prefer the simplicity of the '98, but I'd take a 2000 over an '01 P2
    and keep it in the P80 family. But that's just me - People tell me I'm wrong a lot...

To answer the OP question, these can run forever if well taken care of, but as stated
    earlier - If the car has not been well maintained in it's first 17 years...

The way I look at it is I really like this car and the way it works. Simple, no extra systems
    like nav or touch screens distracting me from driving. When I'm behind the wheel, I'm there
    to drive and be in that moment, not dick around with over intrusive systems or social media.
    And at the end of the day, I'd rather pay out in maintenance than car payments.

Different strokes - You make the call!
    You know JRL is a jerk right

Hey, OP.. Hope JRL didn't scare you off.

How are you liking your Volvo?

[QUOTE=Joneo;194924]Hello, about a month ago my trusty little 93 Subaru AWD wagon with 250,000 miles was involved in an accident and I had to get a new car. Previous to the Suby I owned an 86 Volvo 240 wagon that had approximately 400,000 miles on it before I sold it, still in running condition (barely). This time I picked up a 2000 VolvoV70XC with 164,000 miles for $1200, knowing I would be putting some $ into it but not expecting the amount it has already cost me. True, a lot of the work is related to neglected maintenance, but since I am not a mechanic I may have made a very costly mistake. I am wondering if I should continue to spend $ to replace the motor mounts, CV joints, control arms, strut mounts, and front cam seals, or just cut my losses now before putting in another $2000 and get a newer car with the dreaded associated car payments. If by doing the rest of the work I can reasonably expect to get another 100,000 miles out of this car then it might be worth it to me. However, if that is unheard of for these cars then I think I should just sell it now at a loss now before dumping more $ into it. Suggestions? Here is the big list of what has been done to the car within the last year:

The 5cylinder Volvo engine block is probably one of the best designs Volvo has ever made in it's class. 300k-400k is very common with the 850/S70/V70 models that all came with a variant of the 5 cylinder. Just like any other vehicle they require preventive maintenance and care but even the if you beat on them they outlast most other vehicles. My '96 850GLT had over 350k before I burnt an exhaust valve, which could have been avoided if I repaired a long over due EGR and/or PCV issues. I used that 7 days a week and drove it 150-175 miles a day for employment reasons and kept it as best I could but eventually I let a few issues go but it lasted for many years of real heavy duty use. I presently own a 2000 V70XC/SE but hit a deer on the hwy, so I found a 1998 V70XC w/only 100k on the odometer and my wife has a 2004 XC70 that she loves. You really have to do most of the work yourself or you'll spend thousands but thats with any vehicle.

We are actually selling our blue one for $600.

Blew up another one, eh?
    That makes what now 3 or 4, I lost count?
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12