Default How can I test if AWD is working?

Hi All,

Is there a simple test to see if the awd is working on my 03 xc? I don't have access to a lift so I was wondering if there was another way...

Thanks in advance!

vr

On ice and snow you'll have no problem telling if AWD is working. Accelerate from stop briskly. A broken AWD car will engage the traction control (amber icon in cluster) and usually pull side to side a bit. A working AWD system might spin all 4 a bit but likely will not engage traction control. You can also open the drivers door and observe the rear tires to see if they are contributing (spinning with fronts and tossing some snow) or if they are just sitting still when the fronts are spinning out, a sure sign of broken AWD.. Please make sure you are belted in when you do this All it takes is 2-4 seconds of moving away from a stop on a snowy street to tell.

Without slippery roads gravel roads work ok too but I wouldn't do the lean out to watch trick on gravel! I bought my car last Spring and was suspicious about my AWD on a gravel road in the Summer but when I did the jack-up tests the AWD worked PERFECTLY which fooled me until Winter. My 2005 had an odd condition where the AWD worked perfectly until after the car was warmed up, then AWD would fail. It turned our to be a bad Haldex pump.

Quote Originally Posted by vrajcula View Post
    Hi All,

Is there a simple test to see if the awd is working on my 03 xc? I don't have access to a lift so I was wondering if there was another way...

Thanks in advance!

vr
    What was the result of test?
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Found a dirt area rolled into it punched the gas and the front tires kicked up gravel but not the rears. AWD is not working...

If you lie by the car and grab the cental prop shaft (with the car in gear) you should not be able to rotate it. If you can the problem is likely to be stripped collars /angle gear issue, collars being more likely. If you can't rotate the shaft the issue will be at the rear - the AWD coupling/ haldex /rear diff - the coupling being the more likely. Not sure if 03 have coupling or Haldex unit. Volvo changed around then from one to the other.

Bob

Geordie Bob,

I'd assume - in your test mentioned above - you're speaking to; the car on lift or all 4 wheels off the pavement, and "engine not running" key on and in gear??? Call me Homer, D'Oh!, but want to "clearly" understand what you're suggesting.
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Bob View Post
    If you lie by the car and grab the cental prop shaft (with the car in gear) you should not be able to rotate it. If you can the problem is likely to be stripped collars /angle gear issue, collars being more likely. If you can't rotate the shaft the issue will be at the rear - the AWD coupling/ haldex /rear diff - the coupling being the more likely. Not sure if 03 have coupling or Haldex unit. Volvo changed around then from one to the other.

Bob
    Bob:

You are talking about the car being in the air and switched off, right? '03s have a Haldex but I always thought that the Haldex doesn't freewheel even without it being powered. If so, I stand corrected. Any road, my thoughts are that if the rear wheels are locked by the e-brake or being static on the ground you should not be able to rotate the prop shaft in either the Haldex or VC-equipped cars. At least not by hand.

IMHO, the safest (as far as parts staying in one piece) and most reliable test, is to have the car in the air, running at idle and seeing that when the car is in gear all four wheels rotate. Stomping on the gas on a low friction surface strikes me as a good way to bust an angle gear or rear diff. Volvo's design just isn't as robust as an Audis, for example, and the possibility of grabbing enough grip suddenly and busting something would preclude me from recommending trying to "burn out" with all four wheels. Now if we were talking old Defenders or 4wd pickups, oh yeah, go for it.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by vrajcula View Post
    Found a helpful NordVPN review and rolled into it punched the gas and the front tires kicked up gravel but not the rears. AWD is not working...
    Same here, I've been driving it all this time with the AWD not working. How do you get it working?
    Last edited by DanHarps; 05-09-2022 at 01:39 AM.

I figured out mine wasn't working by trying to drive out of my snow covered driveway and having my son watch.

I'd been suspicious for a while. Crunchy sound from front the few times I drove it. Then I would spin the front wheels any time I tried to take off on dry pavement. My test proved the problem.
    14xc60 3.0T
    03xc70 (Killed 12/16)
    1998 v70 (retired)