Summer: Victoria, B.C.; Winter: Sun Peaks, B.C.

Default What is a position light?

The message screen on the left side of my dash, 2006 XC70, says "bulb failure, position light". I can't figure out what or where this bulb that failed is located.

Any ideas?

Turn on everything & go outside & have a look around. Do a front to back light check, should find one this way.

IIRC, they are with the tail lights.

Not sure on the XC, but with the S60 in my sig, they can be accessed through a panel in the trunk. The assembly can be removed with the lights on so you should be able to see the problem. Sometimes, the bulb is find and they just need removed and reinstalled.
    2002 S60 2.4T 173k

My definition of "position light" is what we called "parking lights" in Canada. Before daytime running lights, this was the centre position on the light switch between off and on positions. The theory is these would be used for temporary parking, but some IROCs considered this as a way to drive and save power, reduce generator wear or extend the life on the main beam headlights. IROC - Idiots Right Out of College. Seriously, these are the 5W lights on the front, rear and side quadrants of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    "bulb failure, position light". I can't figure out what or where this bulb that failed is located
    As others have said they are the "parking lights". On your car the only parking lights the bulb failure system cares about are the 4 red parking lights on the rear of the car. 2 in each tail lamp that come on in the middle light switch position. The others (front parking, front and rear side, tag lights) are not wired through the bulb out system. Most Volvo bulb out systems only care about the rear parking lights, the low beams and the brake lights. Some (2008 v-cv70 for instance) care about the front parking lights also.
    Last edited by hoonk; 01-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.

As others have said, they're also called side lights, parking lights, tail lights (rear), marker lights. Possibly others?

Now that you've probably found it, you may change the bulb and find that it still won't work. At least that's how it was for me. More internet surfing suggested giving the side panel of the tail by the light a bonk. This actually worked like a charm, and knock wood, it's been working fine for more than a year.
    Objects in closer are mirror than they appear.

Summer: Victoria, B.C.; Winter: Sun Peaks, B.C.

At the bottom of the taillight assembly is a clear lens with four red bulbs stacked vertically that light up on both sides of the car.

The front orange marker lights do not go on but I don't recall if they did in the past or if they are supposed to be on with the daytime running lights. However they do come on with the turn signals and they flash when the car is locked when using the key fob. So, the only reason that I can see to replace the bulbs is to get rid of the annoying message on the dashboard message screen.