Thread: ABS Issues

Default ABS Issues

I've searched the forums for ABS but don't get many hits, so I'll put this out there in case someone has some insight -

2 years ago I failed the left rear wheel bearing, and it quickly took out the ABS sensor. Both the replacement bearing and sensor were OEM parts.

Last month i was driving in a snow storm and the ABS light came on, which also takes out traction control. Last week I was having the tires rotated at a local chain and asked them to take a look at the ABS issue - they said the left rear sensor was reading intermittently, but they could not easily get the part. I thought it was strange that the 1 new sensor failed again, but I ordered another from FCP and they installed it today, but the problem remains.

I wonder if what looked like a bad sensor was really a bad connection elsewhere in the circuit?

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm already down to front wheel drive, and without the traction control, I'm effectively down to 1 wheel drive.
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Have you checked the reluctor ring (tone ring) for cracks and excessive corrosion, I had to replace both front rings on my 04 for cracks due to corrosion building up under them, The sensor is only as good as the ring it reads from.

good thought - I had that issue a few years ago and replaced both axles as the rings were not available at that time - they checked and said they were oK - the rear uses a different system where the sensor reads something internal to the bearing - no exposed toothed wheel
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)

Well - Delores went to my neighborhood garage today - they found the same 'staticy' trace on the leff rear ABS sensor (which was just replaced last week) - but they found the surface of the wheel bearing / hub that the sensor 'reads' was somehow corroded (their word - even though I think it's non-metallic). In any case, an hour of labor later they had cleaned up both sides and the problem seems to be solved.

Here is the 'before' trace - after they cleaned up the hub all 4 were the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails abs_trace.JPG  

The sensor works on induction. The reluctor ring MUST be metallic...or there will be no magnetic field...no induction.

It's probably pure iron. That's why it corroded.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Agree - iron or steel - but when I've seen those rear bearings (and I've bought 2 from FCP in the past 18 months) whatever was in there for the sensor to pick up on was hidden from view behind some sort of flat circular non-metallic cover - it's not out in the open like in the front. Maybe the cover comes off or something - I don't know. in 3 months when it warms up I'll get under there to take a look - and (in a perfect world) - maybe clean those up from time to time.