Default Separating Power Steering High Pressure Hose

Has anyone had to replace the high pressure power steering hose? I am replacing my leaking hose with an original Volvo part, but cannot separate the bottom connector, where the hose that leads into the fluid cooler pipe at the steering rack join. Although it appears to be a press on fitting, it does not want to separate. Is there a special tool that attaches to each side of the metal pipes to pull the pipes apart? Although my damaged hose will rotate on the other connector, it will not separate and I don't want to use force and do more damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15780718_101Actual Hose.jpg  
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 12-27-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Add picture with parts

Default T9614047 Tool Found

After searching with Google, I did locate a diagram of the Volvo tool needed to separate the hose. I strongly believe there is a generic tool, made by Lisle 3700 as used on many FoMoCo components; fuel line, AC, transmission and power steering hose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tools-XC70-Forum.jpg  

You should be able to pick up a fuel line release tool set at any parts house that sells tools. Harbor Freight ETC. Either style would be available.

Default Lines Finally Disconnected

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    You should be able to pick up a fuel line release tool set at any parts house that sells tools. Harbor Freight ETC. Either style would be available.
    The appropriate coupling/disconnect tool is available at Autozone, Amazon and even for us Canadians at CTC - SKU is 025-0785-4 A/C Spring Lck Cplng. I'm off to pick my kit up today and hopefully complete this miserable job. Since this coupling method seems to be common on FoMoCo cars, it's likely also used for all high pressure hoses?

I used the blue 1/2" de-coupling tool, pressing downward then pulling to release the locking spring. Now my assembly can begin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails disconnected.jpg  
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 12-31-2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: add picture of disconnect tool

Default Question

Quote Originally Posted by CVOLVO View Post
    The appropriate coupling/disconnect tool is available at Autozone, Amazon and even for us Canadians at CTC - SKU is 025-0785-4 A/C Spring Lck Cplng. I'm off to pick my kit up today and hopefully complete this miserable job. Since this coupling method seems to be common on FoMoCo cars, it's likely also used for all high pressure hoses?

I used the blue 1/2" de-coupling tool, pressing downward then pulling to release the locking spring. Now my assembly can begin.
    How did you insert the tool past the rubber on top?

Quote Originally Posted by mirinex View Post
    How did you insert the tool past the rubber on top?
    It's been almost 2 years since I did the job, but I think the rubber sleeve was pulled upwards to expose the joint. It's kind of a stupid, un-intuitive FORD system, so past Volvo repair experience is useless. The release tool is spring loaded and hinged. My other recollection is very tight quarters, so a bit of luck and patience might be in order. Good luck.

Cam

PS: check out YouTube videos as I did to find out how to install and use the separation tool
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 08-27-2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: add PS

Has anyone had to replace the high pressure power steering hose? I am replacing my leaking hose with an original Volvo part, but cannot separate the bottom connector, where the hose that leads into the fluid cooler pipe at the steering rack join.

Been there; done that with similar frustrations. Just follow my thread and buy the correct after-market tool and follow the YouTube videos on similar connectors.

But I noticed the thin metal flange type piece under rubber seal which does not exist on typical fuel and A/C type connections... Does this tool simply push on the back side of this flange, and or will slide under it from the back side to expand the inner lock spring ???

Access is a pain and job tough enough as it is, need to get this tool placement/use right ! There is a small gap between the pressure hose end and this metal flange piece on the pipe from the rack. But it is only about 3/16" wide and over the counter tool would not work if that is where the spring release tabs rest, versus on back side.

I did notice another competing website which shows how to use a tube cutter on the hose, if all else fails !! ha !