Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by EastOfGratiot View Post
    I didn't get any responses to my question whether Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system would be ok for 2014D software... anyone??
    AND, another computer question:
    Does the VIDA and/or DICE require the bootleg CD to be running in the laptop while the program is in use?? (My current laptop is an ultrabook that I have to plug an external CD/DVD drive into through USB).
    VIDA will run OK on a Win7 Ultimate setup. That is what I have my office install of VIDA running within a Win7 VM (VMWare Fusion). You may need to tweak the VIDA install script but I believe it will install fine on a Win 7 Pro without doing that. Check here and on Swedespeed for additional threads on the subject of installation.

VIDA is an installed app. Considering the somewhat hassle of installing VIDA, my experience (going on 5 years now) says it is the easiest and most useful to install it on a standalone laptop. Currently, but about to change, I have VIDA 2010 running on a 10 year old Dell Inspiron with 2G RAM, a 64G SSD and Win7 Ultimate. It isn't the quickest to boot or start VIDA, but it works perfectly for a workshop diagnostic device. That is, I'm not out much if the thing gets dropped out in the shop. Once my wife's new Macbook Pro arrives, I'll take her 6 year old Asus-based HackIntosh (6G RAM 500G drive) and rebuild it into a Win8 standalone box with the latest VIDA I can get to run on it. In both the current and planned case, VIDA will be the only installed app initially. Once that is up and running, it is easier then to install anything additional you might want. But you need to be careful that any additional apps or Win updates do not alter the the database software or the background supporting software like IE.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    VIDA will run OK on a Win7 Ultimate setup. That is what I have my office install of VIDA running within a Win7 VM (VMWare Fusion). You may need to tweak the VIDA install script but I believe it will install fine on a Win 7 Pro without doing that. Check here and on Swedespeed for additional threads on the subject of installation.

VIDA is an installed app. Considering the somewhat hassle of installing VIDA, my experience (going on 5 years now) says it is the easiest and most useful to install it on a standalone laptop. Currently, but about to change, I have VIDA 2010 running on a 10 year old Dell Inspiron with 2G RAM, a 64G SSD and Win7 Ultimate. It isn't the quickest to boot or start VIDA, but it works perfectly for a workshop diagnostic device. That is, I'm not out much if the thing gets dropped out in the shop. Once my wife's new Macbook Pro arrives, I'll take her 6 year old Asus-based HackIntosh (6G RAM 500G drive) and rebuild it into a Win8 standalone box with the latest VIDA I can get to run on it. In both the current and planned case, VIDA will be the only installed app initially. Once that is up and running, it is easier then to install anything additional you might want. But you need to be careful that any additional apps or Win updates do not alter the the database software or the background supporting software like IE.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Thank you Bill! I think I'll look for an affordable older Win 7 Pro laptop to dedicate to this project.

Quote Originally Posted by EastOfGratiot View Post
    whether to buy Win 7 pro and install it in a Windows 10 laptop or find a good used Windows 7 pro laptop

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system would be ok for 2014D software... anyone??

Does the VIDA require the bootleg CD to be running in the laptop
    To run 2014D VIDA (not using a virtual machine or other non standard method) you must have a 7 pro 32 or 64 bit operating system

Up through 2010D VIDA will run on XP pro with less ram.

The VIDA program is copied to the hard drive, if installed by DVD, the DVD is no longer needed after installation.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    To run 2014D VIDA (not using a virtual machine or other non standard method) you must have a 7 pro 32 or 64 bit operating system

Up through 2010D VIDA will run on XP pro with less ram.

The VIDA program is copied to the hard drive, if installed by DVD, the DVD is no longer needed after installation.
    Thank you! I just bought a download + license of Win 7 Pro 64bit for my old Toshiba Ultrabook (no internal optical drive, 4 GB RAM, about 50 GB free on SSD). The software download is looking like it will take 24 hours! I found some great online videos of the 2014D install on Win 7 Pro and it looks pretty straightforward.

I also ordered a Haldex pump to have it ready in case (will return if VIDA tells me otherwise). Now I'm just waiting on deliveries (parcel & online)! I can't wait to get my AWD working full time. The car is amazing in the snow when it's working.

OK! I did a VIDA diagnosis and came back with a "DEM 0006 Feed pump. Faulty signal." It showed green during current operation cycle and RED (frequency medium) during previous operation cycles. Counter values showed the fault happened 398 times in the past 707 operation cycles. Initial readout values CEM voltage 12.5V, Solenoid current 11mA, pump current 72mA.

Replace the pump??

Now that you have VIDA working, follow the diagnostic procedure for that code in Vida - and as previously mentioned

"before you spend $$$ on haldex parts you might look at

http://xemodex.com/us/diagnostic-flow-charts/"

to help you diagnose correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Now that you have VIDA working, follow the diagnostic procedure for that code in Vida - and as previously mentioned

"before you spend $$$ on haldex parts you might look at

http://xemodex.com/us/diagnostic-flow-charts/"

to help you diagnose correctly.
    Thanks!...yes, the xemodex flow chart sends me right back to VIDA since I can communicate with the DEM.... All indications are pointing to the pump itself. I'm going to start a new thread with some questions I have about getting to the pump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12