Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AWD only operates for about 20 minutes then quits - ideas??

I have a 2005 XC70 with 145,000 miles on it. My AWD was not working at all until I replaced the stripped collar. Then I realized the AWD would only operate when I first started a drive with a cold vehicle. After a short time, sometimes just 5 minutes, the rear wheels stopped contributing on slippery surfaces. The AWD would always work again the next day for a short time. I replaced the temp/pressure sensor and the AWD SEEMED to work for a longer period of time (maybe 30 minutes) but then would become non functional again until the car was rested. The condition is very regular and predictable with no exceptions to the pattern. When I replaced the sensor the DEM looked very clean and the tiny drips of oil that came out from the sensor and valve appeared very clean. Is my issue a weak pump? What else could cause this intermittent problem?

Thanks for any advice or similar experiences you might have had..

I had similar with my '06. the brushes on the pump motor were worn away.
    You should be able to hear it running with the ignition on and the engine off.
    Vida should tell you for sure.

Thanks for the info! It makes sense to me that a weak motor would cause the problem. I don't have VIDA. I'm kind of inclined to just jump in and replace the pump, filter and fluid and hope that's the fix.

before you spend $$$ on haldex parts you might look at

http://xemodex.com/us/diagnostic-flow-charts/

to help you diagnose correctly

CODES, pull the damn codes with VIDA!
    How many times.....

If there are no codes it's probably because you only replaced the collar and not the angle gear itself
    All the electrical parts will throw a code if bad.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks for weighing in with the advice guys!

I'm pretty sure it's not an angle gear issue since the AWD works so well after cold startup with no unusual noises or behaviors. I've been dreading getting a VIDA DICE + Windows 7 computer setup, but I agree that makes sense. Will it detect intermittent issues?

Please guide/confirm my path to VIDA DICE capability:

1) Laptop with 4 GB Ram, 40GB HD space and Windows 7 pro ...QUESTION: does it have to be the 32 bit version, or is 64 bit OK??
    2) Any other computer requirements?
    3) Any preferred sources for the VIDA DICE? ..they seem to all be 2014 software and are mostly priced between $75-$125

I'm running vida 2010 because i find 2014 lighter on info for the older models, handiest way is to run it under vmware. theres an image file floating around with vmware and vida ready to go.

Thank you! Good to know! I'll look into that option....but more to learn about (never used vmware). I don't see any online options to purchase older VIDA versions (just 2014). If I didn't have this week off from work I'd be very frustrated with this. My good old OBD II scanner has always sufficed before I had this car.

If it's an electronic issue, yes.
    Then hidden codes will show along with how many times it happened
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks JRL.
    Excellent! I just made an online purchase of VIDA DICE and I'm deciding whether to buy Win 7 pro and install it in a Windows 10 laptop or find a good used Windows 7 pro laptop (so I don't have to re-install everything on my everyday laptop).

I didn't get any responses to my question whether Windows 7 Pro 64 bit operating system would be ok for 2014D software... anyone??
    AND, another computer question:
    Does the VIDA and/or DICE require the bootleg CD to be running in the laptop while the program is in use?? (My current laptop is an ultrabook that I have to plug an external CD/DVD drive into through USB).
    Hopefully I'll be able to read my codes this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast