Default Evelyn the 06 XC70

Hi! I bought by 2006 through a broker three weeks ago. For the moment I'm calling her Evelyn after the former owner who recently passed at 90 years old. She apparently took care of all the basics. The timing belt was replaced at 113,000 so that won't be a concern, (currently at 177,000 miles).

Now the bad news: Dry rot is going to force a Manifold Hose replacement. I was told that runs an est. $1000.00. But I have some breathing room apparently.

Next visit, I'm taking care of the Top Motor Mount and Alternator Belt, roughly $500.00 total.

These were the only issues found, did I come off lucky?

Thanks in advance!

REAL lucky but that figure is WAAAAAY too high for a mount and a serp belt.
    Hour+ labor for both..... TOPS (+parts)
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

The bane of champagne tastes!! There are very few Volvo mechanics that come up with a Google in the area.
    The other two are off the bus route and reviews lead me to believe I would have a hard time at anyway.

Good to know that I got value and these repairs are relatively nice problems to have when buying a gently used vehicle.

Do you know if she was using synthetic for the oil changes? Has the PCV system been replaced? If not, you're probly driving on borrowed time at 177k miles. When an old PCV hose gets clogged from built up oil deposits, an oil leak (sometimes massive) is soon to follow.
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Default PVC ticking away?

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    Do you know if she was using synthetic for the oil changes? Has the PCV system been replaced? If not, you're probly driving on borrowed time at 177k miles. When an old PCV hose gets clogged from built up oil deposits, an oil leak (sometimes massive) is soon to follow.
    Wouldn't they have said something at inspection if the PVC was an issue? isn't that the same thing as the "manifold hose?"

She did use synthetic oil, from what I understand it's the way to go.

If it's the smallish diameter, 12" or so long and curvy hose that goes over the intake manifold and disappears behind the engine, that is only one hose out of a full 6 piece PCV (breather system replacement (plus several clamps and O rings).
    It's easy enough to do a test, it's WAY overdue. It's a 5 hour flat rate job plus a couple of hundred dollars in parts
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    If it's the smallish diameter, 12" or so long and curvy hose that goes over the intake manifold and disappears behind the engine, that is only one hose out of a full 6 piece PCV (breather system replacement (plus several clamps and O rings).
    It's easy enough to do a test, it's WAY overdue. It's a 5 hour flat rate job plus a couple of hundred dollars in parts
    Good to know that what I was told are the key points of concern are important in all honesty from sources away from the shop.
    Recouping from the initial investment and the ridiculous Ad Valorem Tax we have here. So I'm doing the alternator belt and engine mount first.

Going to curtail my travel plans, staying local, and get the PVC/Manifold taken care of ASAP, by April.

Her is a tutorial I bookmarked - Hope it gives you a better idea - Don't rely on the same part numbers as this says it it is in a XC90 - But IIDK as I am not ready to go into my kids that far rith now until I lose vacuum in the engine.

~~> http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/h...EPLACEMENT.pdf
    2001 X/C 70 - Youngest son's car for someone that is 6'10" tall - and it fits him like a glove.

Wow, $500 for a top motor mount and alternator belt? I would seriously look for another shop. It's a Volvo, not a Leer Jet. That top motor mount can be done in about 15 minutes in your driveway and is simple to get to. Getting to the alternator belt may be tight, but I don't recall it to be that difficult. Any good shop should be able to have that all done in an hour, including a cup of coffee. Sorry to be so sarcastic, but something is just not right and I would question that shop's knowledge. Others, please chime in if I am missing something.

In regards to the PCV system and hoses. Yes, important to do! Again, this is where getting a shop that knows Volvo's is important, vs. someone that looks under the hood and finds a hose and a belt that look questionable. I was not paying attention to the PCV advice on our XC with about 155k miles. Then I see the oil trail down the road into the garage! Oils seals were blown out and down about 3 qts of oil. Luckily, the motor survived and our shop replaced the PCV and seals for under $1,000.

Find a shop that knows Volvo's! There is no need to pay luxury prices for basic mechanical work.if you stay with that shop, I predict your repair costs to skyrocket quickly and you will not like your XC. Just trying to help. Good luck with the new car😀