Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New seats installed, driver's side won't move

UPDATE: Problem was the control module in the 'new' driver's seat.

Original message:
    I bought a full set of seats front and rear from an '01 V70 XC for my '02 V70 XC, a nice upgrade in terms of the quality of the leather. I saw the car that was being parted out and watched the guy remove the seats. If anything it only had very minor front end damage and no air bags had been deployed.

Today I pulled the negative cable from my battery and unbolted the old seats, waiting at least 15 minutes before I unplugged the electrical connections. FWIW, the car had no power from which the replacement seats were removed. Installed the 'new' seats, plugged them in, connected the battery, turned the key, and the driver's side (left) seat won't move at all. The passenger side seat works perfectly in all directions. First I checked the fuses for the driver's side seat, checked all of the connectors and wiring even unbolted the seat and lifted it out enough to have a good look underneath. All connectors and wiring look good. I am an electronics tech by trade so I have ample experience with electrical connections and circuits boards and so on.

Is there anything electro mechanical besides the obvious things I already checked that anyone can recommend, that could prevent the seat from moving at all? It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to remove the seat assembly from the carriage and attach that to the carriage from my original seat, thus using all of the motors and electronics from my original seat with the new seat. I'm OK with doing that but I don't want to jump to the conclusion that I have to do that, if there is something else OTHER THAN an obvious thing like a loose electrical connection that would prevent the seat from moving.

Edit: I can say with 100% certainty that the seat is not at the end of its travel in any direction, such as would be the case if the motor had driven the seat all the way to the end of travel and a switch was stuck in that position still telling the seat to move but it couldn't go any further. It definitely isn't all the way forward or back, up or down, or tilted forward/back.

Anyway any insight would be appreciated.
    Last edited by tmcmilli; 02-02-2017 at 09:43 PM.

You may have to swap the seat control module, A new module will power a seat but a software download is required to get it to function properly - so the used module may be programmed to the VIN # of the donor car .

The drivers seat can have memory - that requires communication with the CEM (to set seat and mirrors automatically) the Passenger seat does not have memory

I have an update. I went back out to bolt the seat back in because I needed to drive the car somewhere. After bolting it in and having already reattached the negative battery cable, I realized I had forgotten to reattach the connectors from the wiring harness to the seat. But at that point I thought, shoot it doesn't work anyway and I still have the control module and other electrics from the old seat. So I went ahead and attached the connectors with the battery power connected. And low and behold afterward the seat worked. I used all switches and adjusted it up and down, front to back, and the tilt of the seat back until I was happy with the overall position. Later after having turned off the car I started it up and headed out and the seat wouldn't move again. None of the switches caused the seat to move at all. So later after having stopped the car to go into a store for a few minutes I started it up and tried the seat again and it worked front to back ONCE... then it wouldn't work again as before in any direction.

So it's really hit and miss. I tried putting my hand under the front of the seat as I was driving slowly through the neighborhood and pressing on the connectors under the front of the seat and also flexing the cables a bit while operating all of the switches. No change. It either works or it doesn't and when it does work it doesn't work for long.

One more thing, even when the seat won't move the heater works and it works great, better than the old seat, nice and toasty on the high setting.
    Last edited by tmcmilli; 12-23-2016 at 09:09 AM.

Sounds like a possible bad seat switch
    01 and 02s can be interchanged
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Sounds like a possible bad seat switch
    01 and 02s can be interchanged

+1 on the switch, I have not looked at my seat switches yet, but do not be surprised if you can disassemble and clean the contacts inside. I'll have to look into the details of seat control module; I think Hoonk is right.

You may find useful info here: https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/InteriorSeats.html - it's about the 700/900, but provides useful context about seat issues not related to the computer.
    Last edited by albertj; 12-28-2016 at 04:39 PM. Reason: grammar

I would just buy a used switch.
    It's not like it's golden unicorn like a P80 switch is as not many fail

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I separated the entire seat base with motors and controller and so on from the old (original) driver's side seat, to save everything electrical that was usable for parts after which I will toss the original seat. This is just the driver's side for now since that's where I'm having trouble with the replacement driver's side seat. See attached photos. I then popped the switch assembly off of the old seat and installed it in place of the switch assembly on the replacement seat, AFTER disconnecting the battery negative terminal and letting voltage drain from the electrical system. I must admit I was skeptical this would make any difference due to the original symptoms I described previously and the fact that it just doesn't behave like a bad switch.

I reconnected the battery cable, turned on the key and the symptoms are identical to what they were before I swapped out the switch assembly from the old seat to the new. The first time I turned the key and started the car, the seat worked perfectly in all directions; all switches worked the FIRST time I tried, same as before I swapped out the switch panel from the original seat to the new seat. Then I turned off the ignition, waited a few seconds, started the car again and the seat will NOT move at all in any direction. None of the switches worked on the second attempt, just like before. So swapping the switch panel from the original seat to the new seat made no difference at all one way or the other.

My next move will be to replace the controller module (don't know the official name) on the new seat with the module from the original seat base, which the module is what I have suspected is the problem. We'll see. The module is pictured in the last of the attached photos. Ignore any bread crumbs and stuff on the old seat base. I found out just how disgusting it was under the seats when I pulled out the old seats to change out for the new ones, at which time I got out the vacuum and carpet cleaning solution and gave it a thorough cleaning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Switches.jpg   Seat base.jpg   Drivers Seat.jpg   Controller Module.jpg  
    Last edited by tmcmilli; 12-29-2016 at 04:57 PM.
    Tom McMillion

2002 V70XC 278K miles bought Dec. 2013 w/ 156K
    This replaced a '97 850 with 401K miles

So every time you disconnect the battery and then reconnect, the power seat controls work the FIRST time you start the car? Maybe whatever reset or reinitialization process that's taking place when you disconnect your batt is allowing your seat controls to operate but then some "fault" occurs in the system which rears its ugly head when you start again? Is your battery in good shape?
    When I first got my XC, the up/down seat control wasn't working but the front/back and tilt controls were fine. I looked under the seat and sure enough a wire clip was loose. Pushed it in and the up/down started working. I'd guess you have a different issue since all of your controls are going offline at the same time.
    If you're the only one who drives your car, how about getting the seat adjusted to where you like it and then say screw it!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Just get the seat re- initialized at Volvo, sometimes you need to do this, even with used parts

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    So every time you disconnect the battery and then reconnect, the power seat controls work the FIRST time you start the car? Maybe whatever reset or reinitialization process that's taking place when you disconnect your batt is allowing your seat controls to operate but then some "fault" occurs in the system which rears its ugly head when you start again? Is your battery in good shape?
    When I first got my XC, the up/down seat control wasn't working but the front/back and tilt controls were fine. I looked under the seat and sure enough a wire clip was loose. Pushed it in and the up/down started working. I'd guess you have a different issue since all of your controls are going offline at the same time.
    If you're the only one who drives your car, how about getting the seat adjusted to where you like it and then say screw it!
    Pretty much that's it. But it comes and goes. It may work and does work sometimes after I turn on the key.. It seems only the first time I turn on the car after reconnecting the battery, the seat adjusted in all directions and I left it. I didn't keep trying again and again. Then after turning off the car, waiting a few minutes, then it might not work at all after I turn on the car again. Then the next time after I've turned off the car, waited several minutes, then turned on the car again, it might work once front and back or might not work at all until the next cycle. So it's really hit and miss. If it would just work the first time after I've reconnected the battery and then reach a point where it never worked again, until the battery power was drained again, then at least I would reach an impass where I could say, OK this only works reliably once and then eventually quits. But that's not exactly what happens as you can read. Also as mentioned earlier, the passenger side seat works flawlessly in all directions. It has never missed a beat since I installed it. I was out of town all day today on a trip but over the weekend I'm planning to pull the new seat, put the old control module on it, and try again.

If it still behaves the same way with the original control module, then it's off to the dealer per JRL's suggestion or I'll just leave it like it is in a position that I'm comfortable with, since I'm almost always the only one who drives it.
    Tom McMillion

2002 V70XC 278K miles bought Dec. 2013 w/ 156K
    This replaced a '97 850 with 401K miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast