Default How was it still running?

Big surprise when I changed the spark plugs today--oil on plugs 2-5 (left to right). They were well soaked, so much so that I wonder how the car had even been running. Check engine light has been on last two weeks, running a little rough, 60K on the plugs, so I thought I see if that would take care of it. Ran afterward, and I'm guessing a good highway trip is in order to clear things out. But it raises two questions for me:

1) Can the spark plug fire through oil/sludge like that? Was I running on 3 cylinders? Wouldn't the performance be unbelievably horrible with even one cylinder missing? Alternatively, was the oil pooled above the plug and just ran down as I loosened the plug and removed it? Now that I write that, it makes a lot more sense. May have just answere

2) I think the oil came from the filler cap gasket having been failed a long time. When I replaced it in August I took off the black cover over the coils and most of those little pockets and crannies in the aluminum were full of oil. No sign of it when I replaced the plugs today. So my question is if there are other ways for oil to get in the plug cavities like that.

Thanks for any help!

Car in question is a 2002 v70 XC, 178,000 miles

In all likelihood the oil came from leaks around the filler cap gasket and did not coat the business end of a plug until you pulled them. That filler cap gasket hardens over time & periodic replacement is necessary. In the Volvos I've owned I've had to periodically replace that gasket to deal with exactly what you describe.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

I want to add that this can be an early warning sign of PCV failure. If this is the case, you're likely better off with oil leaking from your filler cap instead of cam seals. I would also check that the system is functioning properly. Failure of the PCV system can also throw a code. What was the CEL code? If it turns out the PCV system has failed I'd take care of that before you replace the cap gasket.

If you do replace your cap gasket I recommend the IPD one at the following link:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5884...n-oil-cap-seal

Its made of viton which is a more thermostable rubber so it'll maintain its seal much longer.
    Last edited by savannahvolvoguy; 12-10-2016 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Added further detail.

I fully agree with savannahvolvoguy's point! if your PCV system is clogged don't replace the filler cap gasket until you have that system cleaned up....
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)