Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    Cool. Thanks Astro.

Any idea about the speed sensor issue?
    I would think that it is an internal speed sensor. Not the one for the speedo but shaft sped sensors for transmission shift control.
    Does the code give a description?

It doesn't. It is the sensor for the lock-up torque converter. There is another sensor down the line for the neutral safety switch. I found the wires chewed through. New harness on order.
    Thanks though.
    2007 XC70
    2001 Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
    2008 R55 MINI S Clubman

As a side note, I see 12 packs of Mobil ATF 3309 on Amazon Prime for $70.45 right now. Assuming nobody steals it off your porch. (Merry Christmas ).
    I realize this isn't super pertinent to the issue at your hand but... I picked my $70 case of ATF from amazon yesterday! Good deal!

Glad to hear it!
    2007 XC70
    2008 R55 MINI S Clubman

Quote Originally Posted by savannahvolvoguy View Post
    I realize this isn't super pertinent to the issue at your hand but... I picked my $70 case of ATF from amazon yesterday! Good deal!
    Did it go back down again?
    Last month it was about $72 (for me)
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Back to trying to help you DennisM... have you sent off your sample?

Personally I would prefer an analysis every time (I work in the chemical testing industry but not for automotive stuff) especially if a positive result is a brown color when you test a brown fluid... seems hokey to me.
    It stands to reason though that if you have coolant leaking into your tx fluid that you'd also have tx fluid contaminating your coolant. Maybe there's a better test to detect that in the coolant? You'd also expect to be loosing coolant... have you been?
    Are you having any performance issues or is it just the terrifying warning light?

As far as the timing belt... I wouldn't think twice about changing it out. The service interval is 120k (I believe) and, while they obviously don't go kablooey immediately when they exceed it, it's certainly not a game of chicken you want to loose.

On the note of TX fluid replacement... why do we do the flush by disconnecting the cooler lines and letting the TX pump the fluid out instead of drop, refill, run the engine to recirculate and repeat? Wouldn't that accomplish the same sort of thing? I'm gearing up to do it to both of my P2 Volvos... this month.

No, waiting on the test kit to arrive. Probably won't get it ent off until next weekend.
    I have lost a small amount of coolant. I don't know how much is actually just evaporation of the water and can't remember how long it has been since it was topped off.

As far as Transmission fluid in the coolant, I'm not sure what that would look like. Tonly view you get of the coolant is in the recovery tank. I don't know what is heavier or what would appear in the tank. If the leak is very fine and just 'weeping' through the wall, I would think that pressure would be the biggest force at play. High pressure in the closed cooling system that reaches high temperatures versus a low pressure flow of transmission fluid, or no pressure when the vehicle is shut off and the cooling system is still hot.

The timing belt has been in the back of my mind for awhile. I moved to a new State, and I am establishing a new business from scratch. Lean times. So, the car, like myself, has to run a bit on hope and luck for the moment. But, if push comes to shove, I will go into debt to buy the parts to fix this thing rather than end up with a massive failure.

I think there is a lot of opinion on the web, including here as far as transmission fluid service is concerned. Some is questionable. I have to wonder what Volvo was thinking with the lack of serviceability for the transmission in regards to the fluid. It seems like a company whose reputation for long life and reliability would only concern themselves with the average first owner lifespan of the car. There are some that feel that changing all the fluid all at once could somehow damage the transmission. I find that to be a bizarre idea and would like to hear realistic justification for it. It isn't like a complete blood transfusion in a living organism. It is just a pump and gears. The fluid provides lubrication, cooling and hydraulic pressure and that is it. One would think that all fresh fluid, no matter how old the transmission, could only be beneficial. I just don't want to deal with the tremendous potential mess or pain the the butt of dong the Gibbons(?) service method, but I will be giving it more thought. The lab test will likely be the real deciding factor.
    2007 XC70
    2008 R55 MINI S Clubman

As far as Transmission fluid in the coolant, I'm not sure what that would look like.
    Pink, reddish or brown fluid floating on top of the coolant in the reservoir. The specific gravity of water is higher than oil so the oil floats to the top.
    Last edited by hoonk; 12-11-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Sorry if this sounds like sanfroid but it's the same old same old. As JRS and others including, I think Astro, these cars require more maintenance than the average used car run by the type who wants a nice car but not the cost of a nice car (I include myself in this group). Reality and experience conspire to prove time and again that the majority of car owners, many garages and, sadly many franchised Volvo dealers ignore the basic routine maintenance. They also use cheap oil, cheap coolant antifreeze/oxidation inhibitor, cheap fuel and never service the gearbox (replace the transmission fluid) never service the angle gear/ bevel gear, never change the differential fluid. If the guestimate that coolant has entered the auto box fluid then you have a very poor chance of rescuing your car from a terminal case. Prevention is better than cure runs the homilly, and it is true. If you run one of these cars and give a damn about them (because they are special) then do not skip the regular maintenance or run them on a skimped budget. Properly maintained they are bomb proof, abused/neglected they will crap out in next to no time. If your gearbox is shot your car is yesterday, simples.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Youch!! Scathing (and totally accurate) honesty! Its true these cars have the potential to be insanely durable but they do require maintenance. Its also true what you said about the dealer. They don't give a single flying flip about the longevity of these cars. I had a buddy that was a service manager at our local dealer and I would ask all sorts of advice of him. I asked about service interval for the afore mentioned fluids... "as needed" is what I was told. I only take my car to them for alignments so I'm not sure but I have a feeling they're not testing the angle gear, AOC, rear diff, or TX fluid regularly to know if its needed. No good! What that means is that if you buy a car from the dealership with 120k miles on it that has had "all its service done at the dealership" you simply can't count on any of those fluids having been maintained.

Two more stories about the "stealership" and then I'll stop ranting about some of the things they do.

Wanting to be 100% certain I was using the proper ATF for my car I attempted to buy some from them. While they did bring up the correct fluid they wanted $100 for 4 liters! No freaking way!
    Another time I went in to buy a fuel pump in an emergency (I literally rode my bike to the shop) and they tried to charge me over $700 just for the pump.

With those kinds of prices I can see how it would be tempting to put maintenance off. Can you imagine paying for labor on top of parts? Home maintenance is pretty much necessary to make these cars affordable to own. And when you get the maintenance done correctly... well they reward you for it.

End of long winded response.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast