Default 2006 XC70 AWD Failure - Name that noise

The AWD is not working on my 06 - I know this because it stopped moving on snow....

Put it up on 4 jack stands to investigate and here is what I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9SShv93Kts

So my problem is either the angle gear or the collar.

Anyone willing to wager a guess based upon the noise?

Questions for the forum:
    Why does it only make the noise when decelerating RPM's?

Sounds to me like the collar splines are stripped. Only disassembly and inspection will allow for complete assessment. Not a fun job on your back in the cold..
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Agreed and when it makes that noise usually the angle gear splines are also history
    My experience says you probably need both with that noise.
    I just saw somewhere, maybe on Sweedspeed, a low mileage used angle gear advertised with perfect splines
    (You ALWAYS buy a NEW collar spline and kit, never install a used collar).
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks JRL. I will go looking at the other forums to see if I can find. I agree on the new collar. Cann't imagine doing all that work and not replacing it and the seals.

Has anyone ever gotten a replacement spline and rebuilt? This outfit in Holland seems to indicate an improved spline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbeirwriS-U

Default Volvo Dismantler Angle Gear - Your opinion on the splines

In assessing my options, I called my local Volvo wrecker. They have helped me out in the past.

They said they had a 104K angle gear and offered it to me at a reasonable price, said they would not sell if the splines were bad and that they offer a 6 month warranty. So I gave them my credit card and they pulled from the car.

Went to pick it up today. When I looked at the splines this is what I saw:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angle Gear Splines.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	8006

The splines on the end of the shaft look fine, but that is just the lip. Is there supposed to be a lip?

Aren't the splines supposed to uniform the length of the groved area?

The recycler indicated to me that these look as good as I will ever get from a used angle gear. That such wear is normal.

What are your thoughts?

The wear is normal, but who knows how long it will last. Mine looks just like that when it failed at 182K miles. I made it a FWD to get rid of the horrible noise.

DYZ
    2005 Volvo XC70, Ash Gold, 210K miles

Quote Originally Posted by DYZ View Post
    The wear is normal, but who knows how long it will last. Mine looks just like that when it failed at 182K miles. I made it a FWD to get rid of the horrible noise.

DYZ
    Unfortunately, front wheel drive does not solve the snow and ice reality.