Default 2009 XC70 DSTC service required, stuck in 3rd gear, engine runs rough

We have a preowned 2009 XC70 AWD D5 with an automatic. It has problems that appear to be related. The warning for DSTC service required is on. It automatically shifts into 3rd gear and will not change out, even manually. The engine runs rough as though not all cylinders are firing.

We took it to the local garage and they did some kind of "electrical" repair that clearned the problem for them. 2 miles after picking up the car, all three symptoms returned.

Their suggestion is to replace the wiring harness in the engine compartment. With labor, that could cost 4,000 to 5,000 because they'd have to pull the engine. That sounds to me like they are swinging blindfolded at a piņata. Unless there is a rusted or loose connector, not sure what replacing the whole harness could address.

Any idea what could be going on? Sensors? Rusted connectors? Software?

Thanks

If local garage is not Volvo computer system knowledgeable, they may be giving you a go away cost of repair. Suggest going to a Volvo dealer and have the failure codes properly read with Volvo system software. Hopefully the correction will be simple.

I fully concur with bugeye. I had a similar problem but with the gas engine and it was one of the many solenoids used with the variable timing. You might try to obtain the code from an OBD-II tool, but often the descriptions are generic, unless anyone has documented on the Internet how this relates to a Volvo. From my experience, cars are so electronically complicated that a backyard mechanic or your local garage can seldom pinpoint the exact cause of the problem.

I concur with cvolvo. As a former auto tech I would say your local shop is full of horse hockey! I would never take your Volvo back there. Your traction control may be creating an issue with your transmission. I know on some vehicles you can turn off the DSTC. If you are able to do, have tried that? If there is no way to switch it off you might try seeing if there is a fuse for the DSTC you can remove. You can live without the DSTC, but not with having a transmission that is in third all the time. You should take it to a Volvo shop or a dealer. Good luck.