Default Imported post

Alright,

I bought my '99 XC used, and it doesn't have the stinking tool to adjust the roof racks, which I need to do in order to get my Thule box on top.

Anyway, anyone know where to order one of the Torx tools that you use to adjust it? It doesn't look like a standard Torx tool to me, as the bolts have that little tit in the depression. So the Torx tool would need a hole in its center to fit over it. Or is that the way standard Torx tools are?

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Imported post

I picked up Torx drivers at my hardware store  They don't have a hole in them.  If the hole isn't very large the standard torx bit may still work.  If the tool for the Volvo rack is somehow proprietary, you'd probably have success contacting your dealer to order the driver for you or if it's a quick adjustment asking to borrow a driver for a few minutes while you're there.

2005 XC70 Barents Blue & Taupe leather, deliv. 12/04, built 11/04
    Prem / Conv / Climate / DSTC / NAV / 650 / Sirius / 60/40 / 3rd Row / Boosters / Thule / Weathertech mats / Mud Flaps / 46% Tint / Nokian WR SUVs

serviced by Red Bank Volvo, NJ & Volvo Westport, CT
    2001 V70XC~someone else's problem vehicle now
    VolvoClub ofAmerica

Default Imported post

Definately proprietary. A security measure as explained by the dealer we baught our pre-owned from. Fortunately, one was left in the glove box absent the handle I just put a piece of vacuum tubing on it.
    I recommend a dealer.
    00 V70XC AWD moondust 199K
    08 F250 4X4 gold suprcab 70K
    VCOA

Default Try Lowes

I just today purchased a set of Torx tool bits at Lowes. They are called Torx Security bits or something like that, and they are made by Bosch. About $8. Took me less than 5 min to adjust roof rack.

Tool dealers, possible some home centers. Ask for "tamper proof" torx bits. The size for the rack is T30. You could also order from a Volvo dealer provided you can find one with a parts dept employee willing to look for it.

I had the exact same problem -- needed the Torx tool to add my Thule box to my new used 1999 XC. I found a set of torx at Harbor Freight Tools for 7 bucks. It has the T-30 with both the standard and tamper proof heads all on one tool, as well as other sizes. Worked great!

I have a 2001 v70 x/c wagon. I bought the car used. It came with only one roof bar unfortunately, which is has VOLVO molded into the plastic. There is a recessed screw way back under neath the cross bar - when you take the plastic cap off the end of either side of the cross bar you can see it. It looks like a 6 pointed star - like a star of david. It also has a little round nipple or bar in the center of the hole or bit head where you would insert a driver. That fastner /or screwhead is a TORX HEAD SCREW WITH PROTRUDING OBSTACLE /OR PIN TYPE. today is august 25, 2013 as i post this - i have found a source for these bits on amazon they are advertised as TORX BITS SOCKET SET TAMPER PROOF SECURITY TYPE (thirteen bits // 17$ dollars us) the T30 size is included in the set - which is about the size of a standard screw bit, and appears to be the one i need to remove/tighten the fastner/or screw on my roof rack.

if you have the same kind of screw head on yours you will need to get the security type torx bit - or if you only had a regular torx bit - which is my current problem - i could try taking a metal drill bit and a power drill - and try to drill out the protruding obstacle - that might work. or i could try to drill a small recessed hole into my torx bit - which would be difficult as i do not currently own a drill press.

from some of the postings it appears that some of the torx fastners holding other people roof racks do not have the security type torx head. perhaps volvo stopped using this fastener/ screw head as it seems to be very exotic. Thanks to the other people here for posting! Nice to have this resource.
    Last edited by wildb1ll; 08-25-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Nothing like reviving a NINE (9) year old thread!!!!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Nothing like reviving a NINE (9) year old thread!!!!
    For anyone that wants the "Official" tool,
    with the little torque indicator and all,
    it's PN 8624192

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -