Exclamation Imported post

Guys,
    I curious about when I can wash and wax my new volvo.  I know the owners manual says six months.  I've always been told that by the time a car gets to the consumer, the paint has already hardened as much as it will harden.  Besides, the trip over on the boat had to take at least a month, plus the time the car sat at the ports on both sides of the pond, plus the time it sat at the dealers.  Won't the dirt, salt, etc laying on the "new" paint hurt it worse than a wash or wax?

TIA
    Dave
    Dave Marcus

2003 S80 Black w/Graphite Ltr
    Premium Pkg.
    Climate Pkg
    17" Arrakis Wheels
    Fogs

Default Imported post

The experts say you're right. It's been long enough already by the time you get your hands on the car for the paint to have hardened. If you want to read lots of opinions on this subject visit Autopia...
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

It's hard to imagine the dealer not washing the car during the new car prep process -- plus all of the Volvos I've seen lately that have just arrived are encapsulated in white plastic; presumably to ward off the salts and other nasty weather elements

I can see no reason why you can't wash/wax your car at this time.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

Thumbs up Imported post

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, but I wanted to get some opinions on it.  It kills me having a new car covered in salt and dirt.  I can't wait until the warmer weather so I can put some wax and armorall on this baby.  And thanks for the autopia link, it looks interesting.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave Marcus

Premium Pkg.
    Climate Pkg
    17" Arrakis Wheels
    Fogs

Default Imported post

Dave - stay clear of Armorall, whatever you do!!!

If you want to treat the cladding, use a product like Black Again, which is available from iPd at an extremely reasonable price if you buy in quantities of 2+
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Default Imported post

You can wash your vehicle manually which is what I do. Manual washing also allows you to look for problems also. The paint is so hard that I have never waxed my 99XC and it goes thru brush. I am amazed at no marks. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Post Imported post

I know what you mean about manual washing, but this has been a brutal winter in NJ.  I don't think its been above 30F more than two or three days since November.
    Dave Marcus

Premium Pkg.
    Climate Pkg
    17" Arrakis Wheels
    Fogs

Default Imported post

Same here in Boston, weatherwise. You just have to choose your days. It's 19 degrees right now but last Friday it was 50 and the XC got washed.
    MY2002 - V70XC
    Nautic Blue/Graphite

Hi all,

I'll be getting my MY05 in Dec 2004 here in Singapore and have been reading all the back issues of threads to get an idea what to do and what not to... and what to expect. Its been very enlightening.

On the topic of Armorall: the 05 comes with 30-40% plastic cladding. I've been using Autoglym's Vinyl Care spray on my current car's interior. I'm wondering if that's ok with the XC70's exterior cladding?