Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Vibration during acceleration from 0 - 30mph

Alright so I've been on here a while now lurking and posting a couple of replies here an there. The site has been amazing and a lot of help with my 2002 V70 XC, but now I have a problem that's driving me nuts. I've searched and I'm sure it's been asked before, but my XC shudders like crazy when accelerating from a stop until about 30mph. I've replaced the RF Axle with a rebuilt one from Autozone, their in house brand is Duralast. I've done this twice now and the only thing that's happened is I've managed to move the vibration from 60 - 70mph down to 0 - 30mph. I've replaced the both left and right lower control arms and both left and right ball joints. I've also replaced the upper strut mount spring seats on both sides and had the alignment done.

At this point I am out of ideas. I did go to a independent Volvo mechanic near me and he mentioned the only solution would be replacing the RF axle with a genuine Volvo axle. And ideally this would be a great idea, but I literally paid $1,500.00 for my Volvo and spending 500 + dollars on one axle seems a bit much. Especially since my XC has 234,000 miles on it now. I'm afraid it's not going to work and I'm going to keep dumping money into this car. Now don't get me wrong I love it, I got it with about 224,000 miles and in a year driven it 10,000 more miles. It's pretty much a perfect car for road trips to national parks for car camping.

If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Try to remove the driveshaft and see where vibration goes.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by PabloMoCa View Post
    I've done this twice now, I've managed to move the vibration from 60 - 70mph down to 0 - 30mph.

a independent mentioned the only solution would be replacing the RF axle with a genuine Volvo axle.
    Your Tech is correct, there are many brands of axles of various quality for sale - Try a different brand. I've had no problems with the GKN Loebro brand, (could be the Oem brand) but they are expensive. (still cheaper than two axles, ball joints, lower control arms, strut mounts and an alignment plus your time and frustration trying to solve a vibration caused by a poor quality axle)

hoonk, just curious, where did you get GKN axle?
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

From a wholesale distributor I use - SSF Auto parts, you would have to find a retailer that buys from them

I've had good luck so far (just a couple thousand miles) with my MasterPro refurb axle from O'Reilly. Supposedly a Cardone re-brand. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...PV0/609263.oap
    Toby
    2008 S80 T6 AWD Black Stone / Anthracite Black 85k miles
    2008 XC90 V8 Ember Black / Offblack 100k miles
    SOLD: 2005 XC70 Lava Sand / Taupe 176k miles
    Sammamish, Washington

Take the axle back to the "Zone" and get it replaced on warranty, then if you still have the same issue the chances of it being the axle again are pretty slim, must be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    Take the axle back to the "Zone" and get it replaced on warranty, then if you still have the same issue the chances of it being the axle again are pretty slim, must be something else.
    Nope. I had 3 different rebuilt/aftermarket axles on my XC70, all shaked. "New" OE axle - don't.

Same story with aftermarket axle on V70, but I'm not going to replace it.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

I think all aftermarket axles suck. I went through 3 from IPD before I found one that didn't shake a lot.

But it still shakes a little....
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by AKAMick View Post
    This is the second from Autozone. I did just that. I was hoping someone had luck with an aftermarket one so I didn't have to buy a new Volvo one.

I might give O'Reilly a shot, at this rate though I should probably just put up the money for a Volvo one.

Thanks for the advice so far guys if I happen to get this figured out I'll let you all know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast