Thread: Tires

Default Tires

I searched the threads here and only found one discussion on tires from a couple of years ago where a Continental tire was praised.
    It is time to replace the tires on my 2012 XC70 T6. I bought it used with Kumho tires and I have never really liked them.
    What reviews or impressions have any of you had on replacement tires.
    I am looking for something all-season oriented, and of course, want a great mix of dry and wet traction and a smooth quiet ride.
    I have looked online at several Pirellis, Yokohama YK580, a couple of Continentals, and others.
    Also, H speed rating compared to V (or higher) speed rating. I do like what amount of turn in sharpness the car has with V speed rated tires now, and I know the first notable thing with an H rated tire will be the sidewall stiffness - what have any of you found with that if you can compare?

I am running 235/50R-18 PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS tires on the same exact car as yours. I have had them on the car for a year. To me, they deliver a smooth relatively quiet ride and offer good wet traction - with adequate snow traction to handle Chicago winters. Though the Pirellis are 'V-rated' I do not judge them to be harsh. Compared to my previous Volvo, a 2002 XC70 with General Altimax or Pirelli Scorpion 215s, my 2012 corners more securely at speed in dry conditions but feels a tiny bit less secure in snowy conditions. The '02 XC70 seemed snowmobile-like cruising through unplowed Chicago alleys (a.k.a. communal driveways).

Rich

Good to know, thanks.

The '08 XC70 I bought a year ago has the optional 235/55-17 size Pirelli P7s. They appear about 2/3 worn, but traction and quietness are very, very good. I'm a "spirited" driver and will not suffer lousy traction easily, although here in the Phoenix area we're not too concerned with traction in the snow and wet. I'm guessing I have another 5K left in these tires, and based on market offerings and current experience I'd pick the Pirellis again with no hesitation.

Hi Guys,

I'm on Nokian WG3 All Weather, i also read all user forums and all reviews for them and this is my pick, for now is summer and they had done about 5000km, very good dry and wet grip.really silent, i had before Pirelli's and there is a difference the Nokias are much better. I will let you know how the perform in the winter

Thanks all for the input. Pirelli turned out to be the brand I could get readily and I asked about the P7 that was mentioned. I was told that the old P7 has been updated and called the Strada. I went with the Pirelli Strada and so far like them. Only had dry roads so far but grip and noise seen very good.