Default Replacing turbocharger - what about the intercooler?

I'm replacing my turbo, as the oil seals were worn out and it was leaking. Consequently I'm thinking about the intercooler - there's sure to be some oil in it, as there was a film of oil in the charged air pipe. What's the collective wisdom around here, should I:
    1. not even think about starting the engine until I've cleaned out the intercooler
    2. clean it out soon, but it's not desperately urgent
    3. not worry about it.

MY 2001 with 280 000km on the clock. The turbo has been a slow job over a few weeks, as it's winter down here and I don't have a garage. It's too dark and cold to work after about 4.30pm!
    Myzomela http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_Honeyeater
    1973 164 -> 1974 145+M41 -> 2001 V70XC & 1998 S40 2.0T+M56

Sadly I have to tell that I have limited sympathy for you on your version of winter. Your coldest day is likely one of our warmer winter days.

Onto your oiled intercooler.

Unless there was smokescreen amounts of oil fog coming out of the tailpipe any oil in the intake system will not cause issues. If there was that kind of oil coming out then removing the intake parts and letting them sit in a position to let the oil drain out would be good. If it is just a film of oil with no oil smoke out the tailpipe then you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by myzomela View Post
    not worry about it.
    I would guess no need to worry about it. Had a friend's Audi that was dumping oil into the intercooler via failed PCV air channel + oil trap. Intercooler air channel would periodically fill up and and sends a gulp of oil into the engine air intake and produce lots of white smoke. After stopping the oil leak into the intercooler, no more problems.

Oil vapor that escapes the oil trap will collect along the air way into the throttle body and look like the oily film you observed. Oil can also pool and collect at low points. The VW+Audi intercoolers I worked on had hose connections near the low point so just disconnect and drain. Volvo intercoolers looks like it needs to be removed to drain it. But regardless, as long as intake air path is clear, any oil below doesn't bother anything. And as long as turbo+PCV is healthy and not dumping oil into intake, I think it takes forever to pool some oil along the low points in the air way.
    Last edited by howardc64; 07-31-2016 at 05:11 AM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

I won't argue with ssicarman on winters. Between 5 and 10C must seem pretty mild to you.

Thanks both for the advice; I won't stress about it. The PCV has recently been done, so I'm OK on that score.
    Myzomela http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_Honeyeater
    1973 164 -> 1974 145+M41 -> 2001 V70XC & 1998 S40 2.0T+M56