Lightbulb Imported post

OK gang......I hope I've don't duplicated previous efforts and waste any of your time.......please note I am refering to US models as I am in Richmond, VA. Thanks in advance for your input!

While I am new to this site, I am no stranger to Volvos. I've had 544s, 240s, 740s, and 850s, but never a AWD Volvo. And the time has come to get one, but after reading through all of the message threads here, I sense an AWD Volvo requires some significant research before buying. I've scoured this site and tried to compile important things to consider and look for, and even with all the intelligent, veruy useful posts, I still feel a bit in the dark. So....I'm hoping to gather enough facts and opinions to compile a formal "Used 98-00 V70 XC Buyer's Guide" that can be used for users and visitors of this site. My searches didn't indicate that this already exists...so here I go with information I've uncovered and questions I still have.....

Things to consider when reviewing previous owners service records:
    -Has the ABS module been repaired/replaced?
    -Has the A/C Evaporator been repaired/replaced?
    -Has the Electric Air Pump been repaired/replaced?
    -Was the Headlight Recall work done by a dealer?
    -Are there any vibrations and/or noises coming from the driveline?
    -Have the tires been rotated regularly to prevent uneven tires sizes and potential AWD problems?

Some Facts I am trying to uncover:
    -What are the differences between each model year 98, 99, and 00?
    -Has any particular model year proven to be a better or worse?
    -What exterior/interior color options were available each year?
    -How much HP can you tune a V70XC to put out?
    -Will adding HP to your V70XC create driveline/AWD problems?
    -What maintenance is required at what mileage points? (i.e. timing belts, etc.)

Also......how does the V70 XC stack up against the competition? (well, besides being a Volvo&#33
    -MPG city/highway?
    -Ground clearance?
    -Cargo capacity?
    -Headroom/Legroom?
    -HP to weight ratio?
    -Towing capacity?

I hope when we are done compiling all the answers and opinions we'll have made the ultimate Used V70 XC Buyer's Guide"!!!!!!!&#33 ;!

Thanks,

James
    '64 PV544 (pure fun)
    '91 780T (M46)
    '93 245 (M47) ....(and for sale)

Lightbulb Imported post

Well.....I think I have my answer. Apparently the Volvo I know and love died with the completion of the 1997 model year. I wasn't able to find any reason to buy a first generation V70XC over a Subaru Outback, Audi Quattro Wagon, or any other AWD choices. It is a shame that the very same company that made die-hard wagons from the 210 Duett to the 122, 145, 245, 745, 945 and even the 855, is now producing cars with very questionsable track records.

Volvo R.I.P.
    1927-1997

Talking Imported post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wannav70xc @ Oct. 06 2003,20:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well.....I think I have my answer. Apparently the Volvo I know and love died with the completion of the 1997 model year. I wasn&#39;t able to find any reason to buy a first generation V70XC over a Subaru Outback, Audi Quattro Wagon, or any other AWD choices. It is a shame that the very same company that made die-hard wagons from the 210 Duett to the 122, 145, 245, 745, 945 and even the 855, is now producing cars with very questionsable track records.

Volvo R.I.P.
    1927-1997

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Don&#39;t read the will yet. &nbsp;My XC is a 99 that was built in November of 1998, two months before F*&#036;@ took over. &nbsp;I have had only one issue so far (driveshaft replaced under warranty) and have so far amassed over 50k miles this year with no other issues. &nbsp;I originally wanted a 98 but have been more than pleased with the 99 and it&#39;s electronic throttle system. &nbsp;As for &quot;off-pavement&quot; capabilities, go for it... I have not been able to get my XC stuck yet. &nbsp;And I have tried&#33; &nbsp;And it has been places that have had rangers asking...&quot;How did THAT get here?&quot; &nbsp;Mileage is as advertised with ranges from 450 to over 500 miles per tank. &nbsp;

I would not have any other vehicle (except my truck which is for the rough-stuff off-roading trips anyway)...
    LOGAN
    [email protected]
    1999 V70XC Cross Country
    2000 Nissan Frontier CrewCab 4x4