Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Blown Head Gasket, '06 w/70,00k, mechanic claimed fixed, blew again. Trade in?

Long story short, my mother's barely used '06 had the head-gasket blow. Or at least the symptom was low coolant and the coolant reservoir was filled with oil. She took it to independent guy who has been great to her for years, and he said he had the head machined and replaced head-gasket and a bunch of other stuff. cost over $4000. 200 miles later, coolant reservoir is filled with oily coolant which oozed everywhere when the cap was removed. He claims the lower half of the engine is messed up. Everything else about the car (suspension, interior and exterior) are perfect.

I love the 01-07 xc-70's. She got the labor $ back from the mechanic, but not the parts, and is thinking the best thing to do is to trade it in with the dealer and see what they'll give her for it. How are the newer wagons? Any years worth avoiding? Is there a way to fix the current vehicle without getting robbed?

We also have two 2002 xc70's, one with 50,000k and one with 200,000k, so keeping withing the 01-07 range for the family seems like a good idea, but maybe it is time to start upgrading.

Thanks for the help, we're trying not to get too frustrated with the situation,
    Josh
    Last edited by slalomskier; 06-14-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Boy do you have a bad mechanic.
    Was the cooling system PRESSURE CHECKED?
    If she really likes it buy a decent lower mileage used engine, install a new radiator, new hoses and keep it.
    If you decide you want to do that, please, PLEASE use a different mechanic.
    With that low mileage this option is worth consideration just don't mess with that motor anymore.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I should correct myself that the radiator cap did not actually blow off, but the reservoir filled with creamy oily coolant mix that then overflowed once cap was removed. Are '02 engines compatible with the '06?

Could be the radiator has given up...mixing transmission fluid and coolant...Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by slalomskier View Post
    Are '02 engines compatible with the '06?
    01-02 is 2.4 liter while 03+ is 2.5 liter so no match. I'm not sure what the compatibility is from 03-07.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

There is an oil-water cooler that is mounted on the back side of the pan that could be leaking internally.

Engine compatibility, any 2.5T B5254T2 from an XC70, XC90, V70, S60, or S80 will work.

Take it somewhere else and get a second opionion. If what the current mechanic says is true about the bottom end being damaged then you will need to replace the engine, along with (as suggested) the complete cooling system.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    There is an oil-water cooler could be leaking internally.
    - the oil cooler IS leaking oil into the cooling system. Have replaced many oil coolers (on several brands of cars) for that problem. Easy to test for, take coolant hoses off of cooler, (pinch them off or connect them together so you can run engine) start engine and watch liquids/oil ooze from coolant connections on cooler..

After cooler replacement I would replace ALL cooling system hoses, the oil will rot the hoses from the inside. It is very difficult to get the oil out of the cooling system, it will keep floating to the top (at the cap) for months - even after flushing multiple times, using cooling system cleaners, replacing hoses, etc...

Oil in the cooling system is a common byproduct of a damaged head gasket on bunch of kinds of cars - But almost never on a Volvo engine. It seems Volvo has always designed their engines to have the oil feed line in the block/head be a long way from a coolant passage (to prevent 60 psi oil from invading 15 psi cooling systems)

I would be willing to bet there was never any problem with the head gasket. But you mentioned having the "head machined" - If an overhead cam engine like these overheats and warps the head - the proper method of repair is to straighten the head - because if the block mating surface is warped, the cam journals are warped also - simply cutting a flat surface to meet the block does not repair the warped holes the cams are trying to spin in.

Either find a different shop, or stick with this one if he is willing to refund everything you have spent on the wrong diagnosis and only charge you for the correct diagnosis.

There would be no reason the bottom end (crankshaft) would be damaged if oil got into the cooling system - If coolant got into the oil that damages engines and turbos very quickly.
    Last edited by hoonk; 06-15-2016 at 01:04 PM.

I have been looking for a replacement engine for my 01 xc they seem pretty hard to find w decent mileage, I have given up hope you have better luck
    01 XC red 183,000 Death by Cam seals.
    11 VW TDI wagon 126,000
    00 XC Silver- sold
    05 Saab 9-3 Arc Vert 5 speed 83,000
    98 Saab 900 se T- RIP 11/09
    86 Saab 900 T Ragtop- 5 speed

You guys nailed it, oil cooler is leaking. Is there a best method for getting the oil out of the system? Will I need to replace the radiator?

I was thinking of bypassing the oil cooler and flushing it a few times to get as much as possible out of the system before installing the new oil cooler and coolant hoses (and radiator if necessary) and then flushing more after.

Any other advice?

Best,
    Josh

Dishwasher machine, not sink, liquid soap works well to get oil out of the cooling system. Use with water only. Run engine up to operating temp with the soap and water mix, drain and repeat as needed. Chances are you will need to replace all of the rubber parts in the cooling system, hoses, thermostat as the oil will cause them to swell/soften.

You likely will never get all of the oil out but you should be able to get most out so that it will not damage the new rubber parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast