Thumbs up Thanks to this forum, my rough idle and stumbling problem is solved

This never even got to the point of posting a question saying, I need help with... because I searched and found the answer already, applied the knowledge I learned, and fixed the problem. So a big shout out to this forum which is such an excellent place to get help and feedback, as well as being a repository of answers to past questions and problems.

My XC had only recently started with a very intermittent occasional hiccup at idle. Then yesterday it quickly turned to stumbling at idle, cutting off, CEL came on, and difficult to keep running at stops. I found a description through a link in a post on this forum to one of Howard's tips regarding a dirty MAF sensor. It sounded exactly like what I was experiencing so I thought, why not, for about $6 I'll give it a shot. Bought a can of MAF cleaner, took off my MAF sensor at work today at lunch time, sprayed it with cleaner, blew it dry, put it back in and started up the car. IMMEDIATELY I noticed the idle speed was back up to around 850-900 RPM on the tach which is where it always used to be, but it had settled at a bit lower number especially last night it was down around 700 RPM on the tach.

So at that point I was more then hopeful and sure enough after a 25 minute drive and a full warm up, it is still idling and running flawlessly.

So again just wanted to post this and say thanks to everyone who helps out here answering questions.
    Tom McMillion

2002 V70XC 278K miles bought Dec. 2013 w/ 156K
    This replaced a '97 850 with 401K miles

NICE! Always good when you can do a repair over the lunch hour. Howard's site is very valuable as I spent lots of time there when I first bought my XC70 leaning about this beast.
    By the looks of it your 1997 850 was a good runner. When people get vehicle that high in miles I always wonder how much money it took to get it there, meaning maintenance vs. repairs.
    TomK
    2006 xc70 Blue/tan 160,000 miles
    2002 BMW 530i Sterling/Black 97,000 miles
    2001 Mazda Millenia Sand Mica/Tan 190,000 miles
    2003 VW Passat 1.8T 146,000 miles

Yes the 850 logged a lot of miles, at least 35K miles per year. Up until about 2 months ago, the XC was on the same pace, about 35K per year. So far the 850 was noticeably cheaper per year to operate as far as maintenance costs. That's the only downside to the XC. If you don't have the time and/or tools and facilities to do the repairs yourself, it is very possible, perhaps even likely to cost you $350 here, $500 there, and $800 or more over there. I really like the car and I'm still committed to keeping it over the long haul. I'd love to go to 350K or more, as in miles not dollars in repair and maintenance costs. Ha.
    Tom McMillion

2002 V70XC 278K miles bought Dec. 2013 w/ 156K
    This replaced a '97 850 with 401K miles