Default New to Volvo, ready to p/u a 2013 CPO XC70 t6. Suggestions anybody?

I put a deposit. Car is very low miles (12,080), one owner (lease return), CPO, premium plus, blis, xenon, climate. Same dealer sold it originally and serviced it.
    I will get to test drive the car for the first time when I get down there to finalize purchase next week( it's out of state).
    Any pointers on what to specifically look for, check, ask, etc.? Car had the 3 yearly services done, I have copies. Basic warranty until 11.2016, than CPO warranty until 11. 2019.
    Carfax says battery was replaced in a little less than 2 years at 5,200 miles, Tire repaired at 774 miles. That's it
    Greatly appreciate all your comments.

Picking the car tomorrow. Any suggestions of what to look for before/during/after test drive will be greatly appreciated

Weird that the battery was replaced. I would look out for oil consumption issues, make sure sway-bar end links are ok, that all the mounts are not cracking (transmission, engine, upper strut). The P3 wagons with the T6 are so far fairly rock solid. Volvo still hasn't figured out how to make better bearings, springs, or rubber gromits for control arms, mounts, and bushings yet... I think they put in poor rubber everything so that it all fails after 5 years when the warranty is done.

It's barely 3 years old with warranty. Wagon should be rock-solid. (Did I say that already? ) Was the same as mine when I purchased an XC70 back in 2007 with 6 months B2B warrantly left.
    Ed

I purchased a 2012 XC70 T6 (CPO) two years ago. The battery failed after a little over 2 years of use - we had the car for just a few months at that time. My hydrometer showed a bad cell. The same thing happened with a Volvo battery I purchased for our old 2002 XC70. So not that unusual IMO.

My gut is that these cars do not suffer the same sort of 'chronic' issues as does the previous generation. Our T6, instead, has had a few odd problems which were repaired (so far) under warranty. They included a leaky brake vacuum pump (bad seal) and an erratically reading gas gauge (took a couple of service visits but ultimately sending unit and tank(!) were replaced).

The car does seem to a have a 'hiccup' when it comes to smooth acceleration from a stop when I have stopped or 'paused' for 2-3 seconds - like at a stop sign where there are no other cars approaching the intersection. The car initially feels like it is starting off in 2nd gear (accelerating less briskly). After about a second or less, it feels like it "downshifts into first" with a jerk. There is no problem when accelerating from a traffic light where the car has been stationary for a longer period of time.

Like you, I purchased the car out-of-state. The issue became apparent a few months after ownership and is only noticeable after the car warms up. My local dealer says 'it's normal for this model'. I'm not so convinced. I think one or two others on this forum have noticed similar issues. It is not a deal breaker, though. My wife mainly drives the car and this does not bother her.

To me, the takeaway here would be to drive the car under a variety of situations. I would also strongly encourage you to inspect the condition of the transmission fluid (as well as other fluids, of course).

Last, find out if the car is covered by 'Safe & Secure'. That's a service plan which covers maintenance and wear items that was offered by Volvo. It's specific to the VIN. Volvo Customer Care can confirm this for you and can also provide you with some service history and recall info. Just tell them that you are considering the car.

Good luck!

Rich

So, picked up the car today. So far after 130 miles, everything seems fine. One question: I don't know how to verify if the 'active' Xenons move with the steering. With car is stopped, headlights on at night, it's not moving with the steering. I confirmed function is activated in the car settings. Does this only works above a certain speed, how can I check for it?

Thanks.

I have found that the later model XC70's are hard on the battery, with so much electrical going on., even when you have turned off ignition. My 2013 XC70 had the battery replaced under warranty in just a little over a year and it was replaced again about five months ago. As far as the headlamps, you have to be moving for the lamps to move left and right. They also adjust up and down for changes in vehicle weight. Park somewhere at night where there is a wall or garage door in front of the Volvo and start it up and watch the headlamps come up and adjust themselves. Cool!

Regarding battery stress - I'm on my third Jaguar XF, and quickly learned to always lock the doors whenever I leave the car, even if parked in my garage, or even if I leave car for a couple of minutes, etc. Some of these car electronics/computers/systems will continue to operate in the background in sleep/hibernate/standby mode, and only turn completely off when car is locked shut.

For the light park it in front of a garage door and watch to see if the lights do what they are supposed to do. I would also start looking for a good indie to work on the car you will need that when your CPO runs out, enjoy
    01 XC red 183,000 Death by Cam seals.
    11 VW TDI wagon 126,000
    00 XC Silver- sold
    05 Saab 9-3 Arc Vert 5 speed 83,000
    98 Saab 900 se T- RIP 11/09
    86 Saab 900 T Ragtop- 5 speed

The active xenons seems to be working fine. How can I check the condition of the transmission fluid as RichS suggested- is there a dip stick? I can't find one.....and nothing in the manual on this
    There is actually a good Volvo indie just 4 miles from my house. I introduced myself and my XC70 to him last week. He fully inspected the car for me at no charge.... up on the lift and all. The only thing he found is some traces of grease on the inside of the left front wheel hub coming maybe from the CV-joint?. Weird because the cv rubber boot looks like new and in good condition. So I will monitor, and in any case it would be CPOd if getting worse.
    Since the 3 free services were done already, I think I'll use the indie for the scheduled maintenance also, and go to the dealer for warranty only... - why not?
    Last edited by joeD; 06-07-2016 at 06:54 AM.