Question Jerky Brakes on used XC70 2012

Hello everybody, I tried searching around for this topic, but I didn't come up with anything. Hopefully I'm not duplicating another post.

I just purchased a used 2012 XC70 T5 with about 60k miles on it. I love the car, but I've noticed that when braking, especially at low speeds, something seems to clamp down midway through the deceleration. I know the this model has a braking assist option that accelerates the braking force when the brakes are applied rapidly, but that's not what's happening in my case.

I'll be doing about 25 mph and I'll go to gradually apply the brake pedal as I approach a stop light. A second or two later it's like the car is automatically slamming on the brakes. The car doesn't screech to a halt or anything, but there is a definite lurch and then a release.

Is this a known issue? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I'm not experiencing the jerk at highway speeds. Also, it seems that once the brakes heat up (15-20 minutes of driving) the condition pretty much goes away.
    Last edited by williamson42; 05-10-2016 at 06:56 AM. Reason: added update

Default Brakes

You might want to check the rotors. They may need to be turned.

Quote Originally Posted by williamson42 View Post
    Hello everybody, I tried searching around for this topic, but I didn't come up with anything. Hopefully I'm not duplicating another post.

I just purchased a used 2012 XC70 T5 with about 60k miles on it. I love the car, but I've noticed that when braking, especially at low speeds, something seems to clamp down midway through the deceleration. I know the this model has a braking assist option that accelerates the braking force when the brakes are applied rapidly, but that's not what's happening in my case.

I'll be doing about 25 mph and I'll go to gradually apply the brake pedal as I approach a stop light. A second or two later it's like the car is automatically slamming on the brakes. The car doesn't screech to a halt or anything, but there is a definite lurch and then a release.

Is this a known issue? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I'm not experiencing the jerk at highway speeds. Also, it seems that once the brakes heat up (15-20 minutes of driving) the condition pretty much goes away.

A software update fixed the problem. I took the car to Volvo and they inspected the brakes and couldn't find anything wrong. Then the updated the software on the car and 'poof' the problem went away. The service guy said that he had seen issues like that before that were fixed with a software update.