Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Useless Door Panel Arm Rest

I'm just curious if we're the only ones that have noticed just how entirely useless the door panel arm rest is.
    My wife pointed it out first and I have to agree.
    The arm rest sits at a very odd angle that causes your arm/elbow to just slide right off.
    ITS NOT FLAT at all like every other car I've owned.

Odd rant and just posing an inquiry out of curiosity

I suppose I should note this is a 03 XC70, not sure if any other models are different...
    Last edited by AutosDirectFlorida; 05-03-2016 at 12:44 PM.

I have never seen anyone use a DOOR "armrest" for an armrest, only a nice center console that's padded.
    Most doors do not have anything to rest an arm.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I use mine as an armrest all the time... I think it depends how you have your seat adjusted and your posture whether or not it works for you.
    Toby
    2008 S80 T6 AWD Black Stone / Anthracite Black 85k miles
    2008 XC90 V8 Ember Black / Offblack 100k miles
    SOLD: 2005 XC70 Lava Sand / Taupe 176k miles
    Sammamish, Washington

Ditto...always use the arm rest. And I agree...odd shape

lol you have to remember that Volvo, as the leaders in automotive safety, create cars that are intuitive and simple to use. It's just how the swedes are. Now, that being said, my only thought is that they made the door the way they did for aesthetics AND to discourage it being used as an armrest. If you get too relaxed and hang your arm there, only driving with (possibly) one hand, it puts you at greater risk of a collision. So, I imagine perhaps they want to discourage the driver getting comfortable in a way that encourages them to otherwise have anything less than BOTH hands on the wheel. Just my $0.02 cents maybe I'm overthinking it!

Two cars that had great door armrests were in the 80's. The Chevrolet Caprice Brougham and the luxurious Cadillac Fleetwood. It was like driving a sofa and they handled like a sofa, too.

Buy a used conversion van with dual captain's chairs
    Each seat has dual folding armrests
    She will be very comfy and happy
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHSV View Post
    lol you have to remember that Volvo, as the leaders in automotive safety, create cars that are intuitive and simple to use. It's just how the swedes are. Now, that being said, my only thought is that they made the door the way they did for aesthetics AND to discourage it being used as an armrest. If you get too relaxed and hang your arm there, only driving with (possibly) one hand, it puts you at greater risk of a collision. So, I imagine perhaps they want to discourage the driver getting comfortable in a way that encourages them to otherwise have anything less than BOTH hands on the wheel. Just my $0.02 cents maybe I'm overthinking it!
    They fixed it later: no way I can hold steering wheel in our new 2016 XC60 with one hand while cruising at highway speeds Car handles like sh*t, steering wheel is very stiff with some "free play" at the center, and the response is nonsense. So far the driver is fully engaged in this car at all times. The only thing makes me even more sad is the car can't handle straight line. Both my P2 wagons are like on rails after I managed how to align wheels in garage with a very thin fishing line and precise ruler.

I guess, I don't like SUVs, even luxury ones.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Lol I've done several severa PDI's on many cars. On the 2016 XC90 SPA platform I've done the delivery service on baseline $48,000 T5 models with hardly any features all the way up to the 80,000+ T8 Plug in hybrid models. The T8 drives the absolute best but, it's also the most expensive (for now). I feel like the new XC90's drive great, they're nice cars for the customers in many ways. As a technician, a bit of a pain in the asss because it's our first true high end luxury car for Volvo. So, lots of former BMW, Audi, MB customers with silly complaints and the car is almost *too* nice for me. Maybe I'm just a peasant hahaha xD

Quote Originally Posted by vtl View Post
    They fixed it later: no way I can hold steering wheel in our new 2016 XC60 with one hand while cruising at highway speeds Car handles like sh*t, steering wheel is very stiff with some "free play" at the center, and the response is nonsense. So far the driver is fully engaged in this car at all times. The only thing makes me even more sad is the car can't handle straight line. Both my P2 wagons are like on rails after I managed how to align wheels in garage with a very thin fishing line and precise ruler.

I guess, I don't like SUVs, even luxury ones.
    I also find the way the XC70 drives straight lines is very good, it almost seems to know where it has to go!
    It is very sad to hear that the new XC90 doesn't show the same "behavior".
    It is possible to adjust the steering wheel response, I read that it is a bit vague in the standard setting in comfort mode.
    We also have a Japanese Mercedes that has an electric power steering system. I always find it's
    power support coming in too late, only when the driver is already turning the steering wheel.
    This makes me use more force at the very beginning, then when the support comes in, this becomes too much.
    I find this tiering, the XC70 does all that a lot better.
    Is your experience with the new XC90 really bad? If so, I wonder if the electric power steering has
    anything to do with it (I also notice that the steering wheel in the XC90 has schrunk, but I don't know
    if this has any effect on the way it handles).
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast