Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default front axles - what brands are acceptable?

Tore a boot on repair and will need to replace the axle. I am planning to keep the original axle, as it is still fine, and re-boot it at some point.

However, after some research it would appear people are having a hit or miss situation with reman axles.

I have a rebuilt axle from Volvo and it has thrown the grease out of the boot from under the clamp and has begun to clunk with only 30k mi in it. I have a Cardone Select axle from rock auto that I'm about to throw in and will be rebuilding the axle myself with new boots and a bearing from a good condition used axle. The Cardone Select axle does look OK for a China axle, the intermediate section is a larger diameter than the section that passes through the angle gear, my current axle is the same diameter throughout.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Loboro and GKN is what would be ideal.
    At one time Raxles.com carried solid axles.
    I've read of autozone having decent axles ( life time warranty)-ymmv.
    Good luck.

Installed the Cardone Select passengers side axle today (PN: 669263) and my initial impression is not too bad. Install was a breeze, fits in just like the OE axle, and it performs well, no vibration on highway or binding when turning at full lock.

I was mistaken about the OE shaft, both have similar dimension, must have been remembering a different axle.
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 05-01-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Outside of the rusty condition of the outer ring gear, it doesn't look TOO bad. man, I do recall how much salt Toronto uses on their streets, even worse than these parts

I also put in Cardone Select axles one month ago with zero problems so far, even in my lifted XC; which will bring the joints near their limits. Smooth and no binding or install issues.

Jesse
    2006 XC70 360,000KM, Hilton Tune, BadSwede Lift, Big Burly tires, totalled.

Quote Originally Posted by sanfelice View Post
    Outside of the rusty condition of the outer ring gear, it doesn't look TOO bad. man, I do recall how much salt Toronto uses on their streets, even worse than these parts
    This is not a DD or commuter vehicle, and most of the miles are from summer road trips, this axle has seen maybe 10k mi in 3 winter seasons. It is not in bad condition but that is a lot of rust given it's service life IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    This is not a DD or commuter vehicle, and most of the miles are from summer road trips, this axle has seen maybe 10k mi in 3 winter seasons. It is not in bad condition but that is a lot of rust given it's service life IMO.
    You should see what they look like after 11 years driving around Nova Scotia's South Shore. Unfortunately, it was the core I just gave back, otherwise I'd post a pic.

I have Cardone Select new builds on both my XCs, both on the short side. The one I just did but the other car has had one for 3 years with no problems. The parkerizing on the shaft doesn't hold up as well as the OEM paint but it also doesn't come off in big patches when they start to get rusty either. In any case, I have no complaints and at about $130 CDN tax and shipping in from RockAuto, it sure beats NAPA's price of $150 CDN plus 15% tax for the same thing.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

This is a great idea from an English company. It would be a perfect solution for my problem. I may end up trying this fix before buying a new axle, I've got nothing to lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so9gMxzJH4k

Quote Originally Posted by sanfelice View Post
    This is a great idea from an English company. It would be a perfect solution for my problem. I may end up trying this fix before buying a new axle, I've got nothing to lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so9gMxzJH4k
    Good for a temporary solution but I wouldn't expect it to last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast