Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    WHITE HOUSE TN
    Posts
    1

    Question Disabling awd on my 2000 XC70

    hi all, just signed up here. having an issue with my car. the rear diff went out on it about a month ago and destroyed the left side cv axle. that combined with a new fuel line that the shop broke off while trying to get the fuel tank out to get the old diff out of the car, $2800 and 4 days later, the "new" used diff that they installed, has now done the exact same thing!!!! so needless to say, i'm pretty aggravated at this point. my question here is, is it possible to simply disable the Haldex, remove the drive shaft, and remove the rear cv axles without causing damage to the car or the transmission? while I don't mind the thought of having an AWD car, it has now become a major liability and pain in the ass. so i'm fine with just a FWD car. I love my XC70, and hate the thought of giving her up, especially at a HUGE loss. I was told by my mechanic who talked to another mechanic who knows a Volvo mechanic who says that the transmission was built to "sense the torque from the rear wheels". to me, I think that's a huge load of crap. what are y'all's thoughts on this subject?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ac1 View Post
    remove the drive shaft, and remove the rear cv axles
    There are many threads describing exactly what you want to do - (remove drive shaft to become 2wd)

    I don't think you can remove all components of the rear axles (to keep the rear differential from spinning) - the outer yoke needs to be reinstalled to hold the rear wheel bearing together.

    The transmission will work normally with power to the rear wheels removed

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    233

    Default

    This whole story sounds pretty unusual.
    First off, these diffs RARELY fail. I mean never.
    Unless you were running it without any lube,
    it's highly unusual for these rear diffs to lunch it.

    But let's say you won the lottery and seized
    an ouput bearing or something... I can't really
    think of anything else that might take out a rear
    axle CV, so let's go with that.

    Great. You get a "new" diff and the SAME THING
    happens? That runs squarely into preposterously
    high odds. Somethin's fishy...

    It sounds like you aren't dealing with anything
    close to a real Volvo shop. Find one. A good indy
    that knows these older P80 AWDs. Spend some
    time talking to the oldest guy there. He'll get
    you up to speed about this car having a stone
    simple, mechanically based viscous coupling
    AWD system. Your 2000 doesn't have anything
    remotely like Haldex. No sensors, no electronics.
    ALL mechanical and pretty danged simple.

    I gotta wonder...
    Same problem? Same diff?
    Did they even change it?

    There are weird things afoot with your XC.

    '98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BEJinFBK View Post
    This whole story sounds pretty unusual.
    First off, these diffs RARELY fail. I mean never.
    Unless you were running it without any lube,
    it's highly unusual for these rear diffs to lunch it.

    But let's say you won the lottery and seized
    an ouput bearing or something... I can't really
    think of anything else that might take out a rear
    axle CV, so let's go with that.

    Great. You get a "new" diff and the SAME THING
    happens? That runs squarely into preposterously
    high odds. Somethin's fishy...

    It sounds like you aren't dealing with anything
    close to a real Volvo shop. Find one. A good indy
    that knows these older P80 AWDs. Spend some
    time talking to the oldest guy there. He'll get
    you up to speed about this car having a stone
    simple, mechanically based viscous coupling
    AWD system. Your 2000 doesn't have anything
    remotely like Haldex. No sensors, no electronics.
    ALL mechanical and pretty danged simple.

    I gotta wonder...
    Same problem? Same diff?
    Did they even change it?

    There are weird things afoot with your XC.
    Why would one want to disable AWD? I think it makes the handling rival most any car.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GearheadTool View Post
    Why would one want to disable AWD? I think it makes the handling rival most any car.
    Because the cost of repairing the AWD can be greater than the value of a 16 year old Volvo -

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Because the cost of repairing the AWD can be greater than the value of a 16 year old Volvo -
    I would argue that "value" is a relative term...

    '98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Actually... Would you be doing this anyway if putting a "5-5" VIN engine (6th and 7th digit) in a car that had a "5-6" VIN?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BEJinFBK View Post
    I would argue that "value" is a relative term...
    Perhaps I should have used the words "replacement cost" instead of "value". IMHO it does not make economic sense to spend more than a vehicle is worth on repairs (or modifications). You could just buy a replacement car instead. - Or If you spend $5000 repairing a $2000 car and someone hits the car and destroys it - the insurance company is still only going to give you $2000.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Perhaps I should have used the words "replacement cost" instead of "value". IMHO it does not make economic sense to spend more than a vehicle is worth on repairs (or modifications). You could just buy a replacement car instead. - Or If you spend $5000 repairing a $2000 car and someone hits the car and destroys it - the insurance company is still only going to give you $2000.
    I'm gonna get mine fixed no matter what the cost.

    Will a VIN 5-5 (6th and 7th digit) work in a VIN 5-6 car (my XC?) Would the transmission have to be changed?

  10. #10

    Default

    I just bought a used 2000 v70xc awd se model and the owner before me did that to my car when it was his. It runs fine other then the cat that needs replaced on it

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •