Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2004 XC70 Hum (not the bearings?) and mechanic near Trenton?

I just bought a 2004 XC70 and bought it knowing it had a hum from the front at speeds above 20 mph. I figured it was a wheel bearing because when I turned right the sound went away, turned left and sound got much louder. Mechanic I took it to today replaced a wheel bearing, hum was the same so he put the old one back in. Any ideas?

Also anyone have a mechanic near Trenton, NJ?

Thanks!

Which side did he do? the side to replace is the side that takes outer track gets loaded and becomes noisier, the bearing that takes the inner track is unloaded and it quietens down, in your case that would be the right side bearing.

Could be scalloped tyres.
    This is not always easy to see, but sometimes a difference can be seen
    between rubber blocks that contact the road and those that do not.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 2isclear View Post
    Mechanic I took it to today replaced a wheel bearing, hum was the same so he put the old one back in.
    Congratulations for finding a ethical shop - (he took the part out that did not fix your problem) If the hum was the same he could have simply replaced the wrong side.

As others have said the tread wear pattern can make a similar noise, and you can usually feel the scalloped pattern in the tread with your hands. Scalloped wear noises usually don't change (as much as a bearing noise) when loaded left to right. Rotate the tires to the rear to see if the noise moves.

I'll bet you have a noisy bearing on the other side

Rotating tires may indeed help to identify scalloping.
    If possible, replacing the tires is even better, I found the
    cause of the noise by temporarily driving with winter tires.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Yeah, I'm kind of shocked because this guy came highly recommended but I really think he may have replaced the wrong side. It get louder when weight is on the right tire (left turn) and he replaced the left bearing. Glad he didn't charge me
    For the bearing but still.

He replaced the wrong side.
    Honest but not too bright
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by 2isclear View Post
    I really think he may have replaced the wrong side.
    Give him a chance to replace the correct side. He has a hub in stock that fits either side, and he probably can't return it to his vendor (since it has already been installed)

Sometimes it's difficult to tell what side the noise comes from.

Wheel bearings or any bearing for that matter, are a tough bunch to diagnose.
    I would be a repeat customer of your mechanic for many moons, considering his sense of integrity and honesty.
    Locally, upon speaking to several mechanics, they've told me that the passenger rear hub is the most often/commonly replaced bearing.
    The theory is that the passenger side rear is most exposed to 'boo-boo's while taking right handed corners.

Has your mechanic checked out the bearing on the passenger side front drive shaft, and the center drive shaft center bearing?

I used to live in Ewing, I found Art and had him do some work to my XC70 when I was up there. He's got a simple little shop near the Farmer's Market off Spruce St.
    He was definitely knowledgeable about Volvos. His prices were better than Princeton Volvo, but not cheap... You get what you pay for. Definitely worth a try for any Volvo work.

http://artsgarage.net/

326 4th St, Ewing Township, NJ 08638
    Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)
    Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - Traded in on...
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast