Default P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance 1 Code UPDATE

So code P0089 Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance 1, appeared today. I cleared it, found no others, and on a short drive to the bank and back it did not reappear. The car has, and does, run fine with no apparent issue.
    Having researched this to some extent, it seems that the fuel pump is usually the culprit. Although sometimes the PEM, FPS, wiring etc.
    With only one code set so far, there is really not sufficient data to make a judgement, but from the collective experience, is it likely that this code will come back, and be a harbinger of some impending repair? Or, can this be one of the random idiopathic codes that is sometimes thrown?

UPDATE:

Since the original post, this code has appeared and been reset twice, with it appearing another two times today.
    So, out comes VIDA-DICE and off to work I go.

The initial readings indicate too much fuel pressure as measured with the mechanical gauge, even though VIDA indicates the desired number, coupled with a longer pump duty cycle than desired. This would seem to indicate that the FPS is out of cal or defective.
    VIDA specifies the desired fuel pressure to be 380 kPa Gauge or 55 psig, but I couldn't find the conditions for this spec, idle or cruise?

The fuel pressure and pump duty cycle obviously change with engine load.

The fuel pressure and fuel pump readings I got at idle with the original Fuel Pressure Sensor are:
    Fuel pressure 400 kPa Nominal (VIDA), 65-69 psig measured at the fuel rail port, Fuel Pump Duty Cycle 46%

With a replacement FPS:
    Fuel pressure 400kPa Nominal (VIDA), 42-43 psig measured at the fuel rail port, Fuel Pump Duty Cycle 36%

I am unclear about the 400kPa Nominal reading from VIDA, I may have selected the wrong parameter to monitor, but the 65-69 psig reading seemed way too high.

So it would seem that the old FPS was, at least, out of tolerance.

I will monitor and see if the code reappears.
    Last edited by Scopeman; 04-21-2016 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Update
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Original Post Updated.
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000