Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission clunk from stop

New to this forum with a new-to-us 2005 XC70 with 96K miles and dealer service records. Geartronic tranny. After only a couple hundred miles (if that) it has developed a severe delay/clunk into gear when taking off from a stop. Transmission seems good otherwise. The fluid is at the correct level, but clearly needs to be changed. What are the chances that will cure the problem? (I'll probably use the IPD kit and their recommended fluid.) No codes on my generic OBD tool.
    Thanks in advance!
    --M

It will help, check ALL your motor mounts
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mbliss View Post
    new-to-us 2005 XC70 with 96K miles. After only a couple hundred miles it has developed a severe delay/clunk into gear when taking off from a stop.

Unfortunately you may have found out why the car was for sale. (the transmission malfunctions when hot)

A fluid change may help, but I would not count on it.

"new to us" - Some dealers (Carmax in this part of the country) offer a 5 day return period - any possibility of that for you?

- Because the permanent solution to shifting problems may end up being a replacement transmission

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    It will help, check ALL your motor mounts
    +1. Slop in the torque mount under the car and top engine mount will create a lot of free play. Look up on here fur pics of all the engine and tranny mounts. 4 are pretty easy to do yourself. The other 2, I think, are a more complicated job.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Thanks for the input. The small end of the lower torque mount looks squishy, but as far as I can tell without taking all of the splash guards off, the rest of the mounts are okay. I spent some time driving around this morning and could not reproduce the problem. There is still a soft clunk when the car downshifts coming to a stop, but no lack of power when starting out.

When the problem appeared yesterday, the engine would race a bit before engaging gears coming out of the stop. That was also after I made a rather ungraceful turn onto the highway from a side street that has a steep approach to the road. Wonder if I could have put something out of alignment making that turn that would cause the problem. That didn't happen today.

I am a broken record on this one. Do a gibbons transmission fluid change over or a drain and fill 4x with some driving in between each drain. Toyota TIV fluid. Before spending anymore money try that first. 2 changes on weekend 1. 2 on Weekend 2.

Get that fluid changed and then come back......it need it anyway. While you are under there check the level in the bevel gear. If it is weeping at all you ate likely low on fluid there. Changing that wouldnt hurt either and it is only $15 for the gear oil. But you can wait on that until you get the tranny sorted out, but personally I would be worried the bevel gear fluid might be low.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Lose Axle bolts without the tsb approved procedure loctite( blue)-let sit for 24 hours; can contribue to a clunking from stop.

"Clunk" can be caused by worn mounts.

"Engine race before engaging gears" is totally different, and it's the transmission dying. I'll bet it's worse once the engine has been running for 20 minutes and the transmission is warmed up.

I'd return this if you can.

Flush the fluid if you can't. And start saving up for the valve body or new transmission.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Well, rather than a DIY job (I have done it on our 850s), I opted to take the car to a trusted shop for evaluation.

They did the glycol test (is the kit available elsewhere?) and flushed the transmission. They said the fluid was unusually dirty, and it took more than the usual amount of fluid to do the job. They also replaced the "B4 servo cover" (whatever that is, I'll have to look at that) and checked for current software (it was). The clunk is still there, though not as severe, and the flare is gone now, but I was told to expect to replace the valve body before long. More of an expense than I was hoping for, but it could be worse. Their opinion was that the transmission is otherwise sound.

I had forgot to look at the CafFax again: the engine mounts had been replaced (not clear which ones).

Thanks for all of the advice.
    --M

Mine was clunking too on MY04 - lower transmission mount (under the car on the tranny). Known issue. Super easy to check too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast