Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    The polite thing to do, when someone is helping you free of charge, is to simply say, "Thank You" and be done with it.
    Well said, sir.

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

+1

I also understand that the elephant in the room has a commitment to consistsnt quality that's most usually the correct fix.
    Huge asset to the community.
    02's have a bad wrap ( trust me-I have one with 202,uxxx miles); finding a good one with a little bit of troubleshooting and fine tuning can result in a solid value.

Look forward to seeing your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    The polite thing to do, when someone is helping you free of charge, is to simply say, "Thank You" and be done with it.
    +1

As the saying goes, 'don't look a gifted horse in the mouth.'

Steve - with Forkers 8 tips for owning a Volvo' - point 7 comes into mind. Transmission work on an 02 is questionable and expensive and it sounds like you have other wear and tear issues. If you plan to do the work yourself, then the wreck tranny is ideal especially if you can do the install/swap yourself. If you have to pay someone to do it, well, start thinking how much money is needed, and if you love Volvo's, then maybe a new vehicle is in the works for you? You may find that investing in an 06/07 XC70 may be a better use of transmission repair funds required if you have to pay someone to do it.

Ed

A real troll with all of 45 posts calling me a troll... how quaint.
    What I would like to say in response would get the post removed so I will leave it at that.

I would suggest that Stevie boy move to another forum like Matthews Volvo Site where others who also know Volvos post a ton more than I do over there.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Well, getting back to the transmission problem, My 02 I rebuilt the VB and linear solenoids using the Transgo kit and it functions perfectly now, mind you it is a rather complex procedure to get everything installed in the correct locations, but the instructions are detailed enough to accomplish the task. This after a couple of Gibbons flushes that did improve things but not completely as the linear solenoids really do get loaded up with metallic sludge, they are really just electromagnets in operation and do manage to attract metallic crud, which interferes with their operation.
    Last edited by AKAMick; 04-02-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Plus, a "troll" is a somebody that argues just for the sake of arguing, or writes things just to start or prolong an argument. The person to whom OP presumably is referring is anything but a troll. He offers straight advice which may be blunt at times but, IMO, that's often just what's needed.

Here's my thinking;

1, Usual issues seems to be shift flare. You don't seem to have that.
    2, You already have the car
    3, A replacement trans could be pricey (does it need programming to be matched, or is same-year the only requirement?)

Toyota's Type IV fluid is the proper 3309 and cheap, so a flush with that (I disconnected the trans line from the radiator and let it pump out 2 quarts into a marked gallon jug, then stopped the engine and refilled 2 fresh quarts - repeat until oil comes out as clean as it goes in - about 12 quarts) might sort out the trans and is a mess-free way of doing it.

The clunking can be the trans mount on the bottom and the top mount. They control the rotational movement of the engine and if they're sagging it could do funny stuff. Do these mounts seem soft or cracked? Replacement is cheap and easy.

Spending that money is worth it to prolong the ownership of the car as you already have it. A $3000 transmission replacement might not be the best way to spend your money.

I'm not sure what is required to replace a transmission - same year might be required. TCM reprogramming? No idea. If you get it out of a same year/model car, maybe a straight swap is ok.

Oh - you might want to use VIDA/DICE to reset the transmission too. Not the recalibration drive-cycle thing, but the "clear its head" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestikihut View Post
    200,000 miles, unknown last trans flush, not in the last 20,000 anyway. Drivers side axle is starting to vibrate, changed passengers side recently, trans mounts condition unknown. Have not done trans flush, seems opinions say let a sleeping dog lie with this much mileage.
    Here is the symptoms, when I come to a complete stop, the trans lurches and clunks into first. When starting up, it feels like it starts in 2nd and then right away, clunks into first. Other than that, it runs through the gears great. It doesn't matter if I manually shift it or not.
    I found a wrecking yard trans but if dosent need it, I'll find it a home under the work bench until it does.

I caught this thread and noticed someone was called a "Troll." First and foremost, I have only found people on this forum to be helpful. At times I disagree but it is with facts that I disagree and calling anyone here a "Troll" for giving factual advice is asinine. The person you speak of is amazingly honest and knoledgable. Accept the knowledge or present facts to dispute it. I personally love this forum as folks here are truly helpful and kind.
    Had to say something because it needed to be said...

When I referred to our friend as a troll, I was using Internet slang which is defined:
    Troll: one makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
    I responded unfortunately, and responded poorly, for that I offer my Mea Culpa.

Back to the transmission problem,
    And let me say this if I may, the knowledge and suggestions are spot on and very appreciated by me.
    I checked the tire pressure, that makes sense, it was all over the board, fixing that did help but the trouble is still there, pulling the skid plate off, one of the main frame mounts were missing the nuts!?! Replaced those and again a slight improvement. The drivers side axle is worn so I ordered one in hopes that it may be the major player.
    I'm not hiding my head in the sand, I know of the 01 and 02 trans problems, I found that out AFTER I over paid for a near perfect cosmetic wise car. I'm in to the car way too much, relied on the old owners word, I realize my folly now, however, I am not in the position to walk away.
    Here is the ending to the perfect storm...in a parking lot last Sunday, a fellow in front of me, decided that the parking spot BEHIND me was the spot he really wanted and threw it into reverse! I popped my car into reverse as well trying to avoid his old pickup from climbing my hood, and BAM! It felt like the entire power train flipped over. My horn and screaming stopped him but when I put back into drive, it would hardly move, I flipped it over to manual and instead of 1st, it read 2, after a series of bangs and thumps it began to move, lugging, then shifted itself into 4th. I was able to limp the 3 miles home.
    I restarted the car hoping the "control-alt reset" fairy would work, no dice. It's dead.
    Now I'm concerned that I may have blundered again. I bought the other trans and I am capable of doing the work to replace the tranny but didnt consider any problems with the computer...it is a same year swap...I will research if that will work with out giving the dealer a pound of flesh to reconfigure it.
    Apologizing here was hard but brother it is nothing compared to telling my wife I spent a fortune on my Volvo that I cannot drive!!! She insisted I get a sub compact, hybrid, oh the horror.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast