Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electrical Issues - Diagnosis Help Please

Gents:

#2 is running great post PCV, timing belt, etc. service. I still have a fuel vapor slight leak issue - assuming it is around the filler hose because I don't get any smells inside, but I want to get the electrical issues fixed before tackling this one.

I am now Vida/Dice equipped.

1. I have had an Anti-Skid service light & warning since I purchased the car in November 2015. I visually inspected the sensors when I did the brakes, but did not find anything obvious. I did not check the resistance at that point because I wanted to wait and see what VIDA would tell me.

2. The climate control system has not functioned correctly since I purchased the car. The driver side heat is always on and the heated seats do not function. Passenger side works correctly. I could sort of regulate during the winter - now that it is getting warmer, it is getting uncomfortable. I was waiting for my VIDA to try and resolve.

3. I had a brief issue with the gas gauge a week ago where it stopped reading. This lasted about a day and then started functioning again. I did check the battery (with an inexpensive tester) and it checked out fine. VIDA/Dice shows the alternator putting out about 13.4.

4. I ran Vida/Dice on the car when I got it last week. I got about 6 codes total, including a couple of incomplete test codes with respect to the BCM and an inability to communicate with the CCM. I was able to get VIDA to communicate with the CCM by "updating" it and the heated seats and driver side climate controls functioned properly. The BCM was giving me several yellow codes.

I cleared all of the codes and took the car for a test drive. The CCM worked but the anti-skid service light came back on almost immediately.

I left VIDA/DICE active during the test drive. It lost connection during the ride.

After I turned off the car, the CCM went back to the prior malfunctioning state.

5. Reran the code scan and got the following:

BCM-0111 SAS tolerance check not completed
    BCM-A031 another SAS tolerance check not completed
    BCM-A032 Too long stability control
    CCM-DD01 LIN Bus 1 signal too high/low
    UEM-00A4 Tire pressure sensor low battery
    UEM-00A5 Tire pressure sensor low battery
    BCM-0109 Communication problems SAS, internal fault
    CCM-0040 Air quality sensor
    CEM-1A5F BCM control module signal missing
    CEM-4A31 Ejector sensor faulty signal
    SAS-000E Angle sensor internal fault
    UEM-0083 Rain sensor internal fault
    CEM-8A21 Low beam signal too low
    CEM-8A32 Flash signal activated too long
    CEM-8B01 Position signal too low (replaced with LED's - so likely problem).

Based on reading other forum threads, I am assuming there is a CEM issue but it looks like I could have problems with both BCM and CCM. I am not a fan of throwing parts at problems so any additional diagnostic suggestions or explanations would be most appreciated.
    2007 XC70, Ruby Red, 235k, #1 (owned since new)
    2007 XC70, Willow Green, 172k, #2 (owned since 130k)
    Texan lost in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey

Re: pt. 2, has any work been done on the heat exchanger? The two small levered doors (for driver/pass.) have to open/close to regulate heat. Is the door for driver's side stuck or range of motion restricted? With floor panels removed so you can see the heat exchanger, you should be able to turn the climate control knobs back and forth and see the levers/doors move. Just a thought...
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingers View Post
    Re: pt. 2, has any work been done on the heat exchanger? The two small levered doors (for driver/pass.) have to open/close to regulate heat. Is the door for driver's side stuck or range of motion restricted? With floor panels removed so you can see the heat exchanger, you should be able to turn the climate control knobs back and forth and see the levers/doors move. Just a thought...
    Thanks Xfingers. I can hear them moving on the drivers side, but I didn't pull the floor panels to look at them.

I did remove the CCM today, in part to replace a burned out bulb and also to do a bit more fault checking. I followed the VIDA fault checking section for the main CCM code - LIN 1 Bus....which asks that you check the main power to the CCM. I was getting 11.7 with the car off and 12.8 with the car on. I need to poke around VIDA (there is a learning curve) to find exactly what the specs should be, but those numbers don't sound off to me.

Strangely, the driver side heat does not function, but Vida is able to communicate with it. The switch light turns on, but the switch state does not go to "on". Passenger side works correctly. It may be the heater module - which VIDA suggest you swap with the working side. I ran out of time to do this.

One of the errors is that the CCM is not calibrated. I have tried several times to get it to calibrate, but it will not. I am leaning towards a CCM issue as at least one piece of my problem puzzle.

I will call Xemodex tomorrow to talk to them a bit more about diagnosis.

Default Update

Tony at Xemodex is fantastic.

1. We are thinking that the climate control issues are related to a bad seat heater control module. The bad module could be shutting down the LIN Bus 1 communication, which prevents the CCM from calibrating and messes up damper motors etc. To verify, I will unplug the driver side seat heater module and see if the CCM will calibrate.

2. My anti-skid system errors are likely related to a bad steering angle sensor. I am going to get back into VIDA and see what I can learn directly - I should be able to see it work and if I can't, that would suggest that the sensor/control wheel is the issue.

3. There is an outside chance that both symptoms are related to the CEM, but I need to run down 1 & 2 before we start checking the CEM.

More to come later....

Again....Tony from Xemodex is the man.

1. CCM problem is fixed. Unplugged the driver side seat heater control module and all the CCM codes went away. Climate control is working! I just need to pick up a new (or used) control module and I'll have a warm backside as well.

2. Checked the Steering Angle Sensor with VIDA and it seems to be functioning correctly. More fault tracing tomorrow.
    Last edited by pittsjock; 03-15-2016 at 10:56 AM.

2. Is your angle gear working at all? Meaning, you have AWD when needed? I had a similar issue but required a rebuild of the Haldex controller board Volvo (and Ford) used for the P2 platform AWD controller - AKA DEM module. Xemodex rebuilt mine and had it back in a couple days. Costs around $500 for a rebuild DEM controller.

As for the CCM, there is a 'calibration' procedure for it through VIDA/DICE connection but I cannot remember exactly how it's done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    2. Is your angle gear working at all? Meaning, you have AWD when needed? I had a similar issue but required a rebuild of the Haldex controller board Volvo (and Ford) used for the P2 platform AWD controller - AKA DEM module. Xemodex rebuilt mine and had it back in a couple days. Costs around $500 for a rebuild DEM controller.

As for the CCM, there is a 'calibration' procedure for it through VIDA/DICE connection but I cannot remember exactly how it's done now.
    Thanks Forkster. I am pretty sure that the AWD is working fine. I am not getting any codes in VIDA and I played in the snow a bit earlier this winter and everything seemed right.

I need to go back into VIDA and watch the SAS again. As I understand it, the SAS is powered by the same LIN Bus 1 as the CCM/seat heater module and there is a possibility that the seat heater control module was causing a power drop to the SAS and the other BCM communication errors. I did not clear any codes last night when the CCM came back on line, so I will do so tonight and see what happens.

As for recalibrating the CCM, I think it does it automatically. If you replace a damper motor or replace the CCM, there is a procedure in VIDA to calibrate, but all of the codes disappeared last night and so I would have to search a bit in VIDA to find the calibration section.

Sure is nice to have a working CCM, though ......... no more constant heat on the driver side.
    Last edited by pittsjock; 03-15-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Default Update

The steering angle sensor was indicating that the steering wheel was 180 degrees off of actual position. This confused the anti-skid system and threw several codes. I tried several times to manually reindex the SAS, but not luck - it would connect to VIDA and all of the readings seemed correct except for the actual steering wheel position. I went ahead and bought a used SAS from Erie Volvo (lifetime warranty) and installed it yesterday. All of the lights are off and VIDA is giving me a clean scan.

I also used VIDA to recalibrate the CCM. I am still getting one error message because the driver side seat heater control module is unplugged pending replacement. Otherwise, the climate control is working great.

I still have to track down an error code on the evaporative emissions systems - think I have a crack/leak near the gas tank fill tube because I get a slight smell when the tank is full.

Fixing this car has been an odyssey, but I think the vehicle is going to turn out to be a decent purchase.

J-hose or the Leak Detection Pump
    Both common
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    J-hose or the Leak Detection Pump
    Both common
    Thank you JRL. I am going to take a look at getting in there this weekend. Loving VIDA/DICE.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast